Hi,
I had this system first over 4 yrs:
Intel PD35PD MB
4GB DDR2 ram
Intel Core 2 2.66ghz E6?
Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB GFX card
6 TB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate
At the mid of 2011 when I download a video and do something else I would notice a lg in my PC. If I am installing a game or program and do something else like try to browse the internet, I would notice a significant lag in my pc. I know installing a program or game doesn't use that much resources to prevent me from multitasking. So I figured it was time for a serious upgrade.

Jan. 2012...I now have this:

Asus P8Z 68-VLE MB
Intel Core i5 2400 LG1155
8GB DDR3 ram
Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB GFX card
6 TB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate
Now even with this new supposed to be faster and able to handle multitasking system, I am still experiencing slow down lags when doing more than one simple thing at a time. Downloading, installations, unzipping, watching youtube videos (some videos play like in slow motion while others play normal), all these act like they are using so much resource if you do more than one of them at a time. Can someone tell me what could be the issue(s) here? Thanks.

I didn't know Aztec still built power supplies. If this PS is from the old build, replace it. If it is new, we'll go on with this...

Did you do a fresh install of Windows? Might be some virus or malware that's causing your slowdowns.

Slh28, if Prahsper didn't do a fresh install of the OS there would be more issues than slowness. If the power supply was the same one used in the old build, it is logical to think it may be the cause of the trouble now

If the hard drives are the same then that could also be the cause of slowness.

If you are not signing onto a network, then the registry keys below could assist

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SyncForegroundPolicy"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SyncForegroundPolicy"=dword:00000000

I'm sorry....the power supply is Antec 650W. And yes it is still the same power supply before the upgrade. It was never changed. Seems to be still working to me. Don't understand how the power supply would cause slow down in multitasking and not anything else. Please enlighten me. Yes this was a clean install of Win7. Done on a 500GB HDD.(Main Drive C:) Not partitioned.
The other drives are 4-1TB HDD used for storage only. Also, with that it takes like a few seconds for the TB HDD to be read when I click on them and then the same when you click on a folder of any TB drive.. Never had that issue before until the upgrade.
Don't understand the post concerning the registry keys.

You had slowdowns on the old build as well as on the new build. You have 5 large mechanical hard drives installed. You have a faster processor and more memory installed. This caused even more current demand from the suspect power supply. Get a Corsair 850 watt SLI power supply and try it. This is just common sense...
"Don't understand the post concerning the registry keys"...

Don't feel bad, I don't either

If the power supply was the same one used in the old build, it is logical to think it may be the cause of the trouble now.

"BINGO"........ the only remaining logical fact here is the power supply. Seeing that the power supply was part of the old build, as that build was slowing down and was in question. Now the same is true with the new build, the slowing down issues and lack of proper responsiveness, the power supply is the only tie that binds the new to the old here. I personally suspect that the power supply might have been going out at the later part of the old build. Then the power supply that was on it's way out was put back and allowed to be a part of the new build. Tmagic650 has recommended a very good power supply, which I feel that will do your new build just fine. But I wouldn't go bellow anything 850 watts, no matter how good a lower wattage might look or sound. Heck, 850 watt power supply is the minimum that I start out with when building client or personal computers, normally I just go big and opt for a 1000 watt, but that's just me.

OK...I will purchase a new PS tomorrow. I will get an 850 and let you guys know how that worked out. Thanks

Have to stay within a certain price range for now...are any of these good?
1. Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Power Supply

2.Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W Modular Power Supply - CP-9020004-NA

850W is overkill for your system IMO, you have a non-overclocked CPU and only one GPU. Even a decent 500W PSU will do, but I guess it's always good to leave room for upgrades.

Those 2 PSU's you listed are good choices, one of them is modular meaning you only plug in the cables you need so you have a much neater build and better airflow.

OK...now I am confused. 2 saying get the 850 and one saying 850 is an overkill. You are right....there is no overclocking on the CPU and there is one GPU.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the other two and here's the evidence:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-8800-gts--gtx-review/9
A system with a single 8800GTX uses 363W at load and that's with a C2D X6800 Extreme, a more power hungry processor than your i5 2400. Even SLI 8800GTX only needs 512W.

You only really need an 850W PSU if you're running a heavily OC'd CPU and 2x OC'd 7970 in CrossFire or something like that. If you're never going to run that kind of setup then a 550W Corsair will be fine.

[FONT=Arial]As the others have said a good 500w+ should be fine for that system. You didn't say which model the Antec was. If it was SmartPower, SmartPower 2.0, TruePower, or TruePower 2.0. It is an older CWT built model with fuhjyyu capacitors that are known for failing after a few years. Even if it is a newer model all PSUs loose capacity over time as the electrolytics age. BTW: Antec no longer uses CWT as an OEM their current models are built by Delta, SeaSonic, FSP, or Ehnance and are much more reliable than the older CWT units. Any of the following brands would be considered good: Antec (except Basiq series), Corsair (except Builder series), Delta, Enermax, FSP, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]All that being said price also plays a factor. You can often find higher wattage units on sale for prices similar to their lower wattage counterparts so if you can find a 700,750,850w, etc from a good manufacture for a price similar to a 550 or 650w unit it makes sense to go for the higher wattage model so you have more overhead for future upgrades.[/FONT]

Back