Upgraded to a 9800GT card, are my temps too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monk89

Just thought id let u guys know i bought a 260gtx in the end but it wouldnt fit (it blocked my sata ports stupid micro atx) no one mentioned that so maybe make a note that any card above a 9800gt will not fit a micro atx ;) (if your sata ports are at the far right edge of your mother board)

so i got a 9800 gt single slot card that fits nicely and compared to my 9500gt i get
on a benchmark 3d test on performance test 7 )
over 500 fps on medium up from 130 and 70 fps on complicated up from 30 :)
also now fallout 3 auto sets to high settings from low :) (still ultra high to go but ahh well)

So i am very happy with my upgrade and very thank full for all your help in choosing / upgrading my machine .

my idle temp for gpu before was 39 and 59 max load now its 45 idle and 73 on highest setting in game is that ok or too high ?

also in evga precision my fan speed auto increases as heat goes up but doesnt go back down is that normal ??
i have to untick auto on fan speed, move the fan speed higher or lower,
and then it will begin to fall bk to its idle speed is that normal will it hit its peak and stay there even once its cooled down to its idle of 45 or do u think evga is interfering..

resize-image.asp
this is the one i got exept i have 1 gb ddr3
its a nice card doesnt need a 6 pin plug either takes all its power through board which is a plus for ppl with old machines

You may be OK on load, but I would not want to own the computer a year from now, if it was constantly rising to 73... Heat is the major cause of short life, whether your system can stand it for a while or not.

For $25 investment in case fans, thermal past, and cable changes, you will have it under the much safer 65 Celsius. That drop of 8 degrees will give your computer a much longer life.

the overall cp temp is only 46 even when the gpu is at 73 but 73 is the max its gone to in game average of 67 69 in a damanding game on high settings just want to know is that too hot

before i upgraded i had the gpu at 39 to 59 max and i do have good case fans and vetilation its just the new gpu seems to run hot at 45 idle up to 67 ifull load (on speed fan i saw 73 max 67 average while playing fallout 3 full settings)
it runs fine hasnt crashed or anything its just quite a bit higher than my old gpu and also i have all the cooling i can fit in my case and i have good cabeling all neat and tidy and out of the way

while cooler is always better, 73c on load is a perfectly normal and expected temperature for that GPU.

I have a micro-atx as well, and I did buy the GTX260 core 216. I kind of scrunched one of the SATA cables that were under the videocard to get it to fit. Not the best advice, but if you feel your cables are flexible enough, go for it. Or else, if you have the money, you could get a larger mobo for your cpu.

On the other hand, I guess it is because of the NZXT zero 2 casing that I have cuz the max the card has been on max settings on Crysis demo is 58C.
73C is hot in the long run, as others have said here - it reduces your VC's capacitor life; I think it was red1776 that posted a link to an article on how temps above 65C in 10deg increments reduce the capacitor life by like half...

If you can invest in time for cable-mgt, case fans, or a better case (mind-you I have no clue what you have), your temps will see a good drop. Also, if you are willing to void the warranty and install a custom cooler, don't forget good Arctic Silver MX2 thermal paste or other replacements. A thin layer is all you need.

hai monk,don't worry its fine,73 degree is fine.I too have microATX casing and MSI 9800GT.My video card temp is 45-50c hot on idle and goes upto 80-81 on load with some demanding games like crysis.I don't have extra large fan either.Only one fan except CPU fan.So it will be fine IMO.Don't worry enjoy the game.

73c is not fine. 81c is not fine. Short periods? OK. But the longer the heat, the shorter the fully operational life of the computer.
Your computer will tolerate it, but the life of your computer is shortened significantly by continued high temperatures.
Just because it works today does not mean it will work, or work well, a year from now.
Many of the computers we see that are reported to have slowed down, or have a weird, or flashing video screen are direct result of heat.
73 is 163.40F. 81 is 177F...
There is an equipment cost... but you can afford it. It gives you an excuse to upgrade.

I have the same card Monk and those temps are exactly the same as mine. Idles at 45°C and full load running Crysis it will hit 71-73°C. I have plenty of case cooling and all cables are routed clear of the fans. If you go to Newegg and read the reviews, it seems those temps are normal for 9800's regardless of the card manufacturer. These things just run a bit on the hot side it seems. It may be worth looking into some aftermarket cooling if you plan on keeping that card in the system for a while. I plan on moving to a 260 in the not too distant future so I'm just dealing with it for now as it doesn't seem to be affecting my overall case temp very much.

73c is not fine. 81c is not fine. Short periods? OK. But the longer the heat, the shorter the fully operational life of the computer.
Your computer will tolerate it, but the life of your computer is shortened significantly by continued high temperatures.
Just because it works today does not mean it will work, or work well, a year from now.
Many of the computers we see that are reported to have slowed down, or have a weird, or flashing video screen are direct result of heat.
73 is 163.40F. 81 is 177F...
There is an equipment cost... but you can afford it. It gives you an excuse to upgrade.

Ohh man ur sacrying me.on load 81c not fine?damn what to do now?My micro ATX case don't have a place to fit two fans.and their ain't good fans(only normal one) in the market where i live.Now im thinking what will be my solution.I want my graphic card to last until 2 yrs from now on. :(

Ohh man ur sacrying me.on load 81c not fine?damn what to do now?My micro ATX case don't have a place to fit two fans.and their ain't good fans(only normal one) in the market where i live.Now im thinking what will be my solution.I want my graphic card to last until 2 yrs from now on. :(

You could get a new Mid-Tower for like $80-$100. Choose those that come with fans included like the Antec 900, Coolermaster Storm, or the NZXT Tempest. Your rig will look meaner, leaner and better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back