Upgraded video card... performance drop?

malwareremover

Hello,

I am brand new to this website and I was just looking over these great forums. I have a question.... I dropped my computer off at a local computer shop near me and they upgraded my video card for me. I had a Radeon 4650 in there and now it is a Radeon 6450. I went to play a little bit of saints row the third and it is lagging like CRAZY! I had no problems running this and I used the can you run it? program developed by amd and i used to pass with flying colors, now im a little over minimum. What could be happening!?

Take it back and get your money and the old card back.

I want to ask how much did you pay for the "upgrade?"

Aside from supporting DX11 the HD6450 is not an upgrade, more like a downgrade. The performance drop is not surprising. If you want an upgrade get a HD6770 or a HD6670 is you don't need as much performance.

Aside from supporting DX11 the HD6450 is not an upgrade, more like a downgrade. The performance drop is not surprising. If you want an upgrade get a HD6770 or a HD6670 is you don't need as much performance.

so if I get the hd6770 it will be a reasonable upgrade from my previous 4650? It seems to be within a reasonable price range... Sorry for the newbie question im about to ask but there is different "models" for the hd6770. One is made by sapphire, xfx, and asus, which one is the correct one. Thanks for all the help so far everybody I am a total newbie when it comes to hardware :p

so if I get the hd6770 it will be a reasonable upgrade from my previous 4650? It seems to be within a reasonable price range... Sorry for the newbie question im about to ask but there is different "models" for the hd6770. One is made by sapphire, xfx, and asus, which one is the correct one. Thanks for all the help so far everybody I am a total newbie when it comes to hardware :p

Before you even continue on with this forum thread talking about upgrading to a 6770 as I said above you need to go back to that shop and get your old card back and your money back, They swindled you!

And if they argue that you did get an upgrade just tell them to go visit any respectable video card review site with charts and see if they want to lie to your face.

reply to faulty

Before you even continue on with this forum thread talking about upgrading to a 6770 as I said above you need to go back to that shop and get your old card back and your money back, They swindled you!

And if they argue that you did get an upgrade just tell them to go visit any respectable video card review site with charts and see if they want to lie to your face.

When I picked up the new video card in my computer they did in fact give me the old one back. They are closed on Sundays so I will be going there tomorrow demanding my money back. When all is said and done what is a good card to upgrade to for under $120. I have a radeon 4650 but I want something a bit better. I was bluescreening and that is why I went there in the first place and after a few visits it was diagnosed that the video card is faulty. I am going to get a replacement or something sapphire and put that in my fathers computer, but I am looking for something decent for myself. Any suggestions?

no problem. I'm sure you'll enjoy your upgrade

I also want to ask what brand psu you have and how many watts?

When I bought the case on newegg I don't think I looked at the power supply wattage. The case is a Sentey ps2-3270 it came with the power supply and what not. I am almost positive that it is 450w, though I am not totally sure.

That may not be enough to push either of the upgrades I suggested. Maybe if it was a high quality psu. When you get a chance can you post all of your pc information so we can have a look?

system specs

intel core 2 duo cpu e7500 2.93 ghz
450w power supply
4gb ram (not sure what kind)
radeon 6450 (hope to upgrade to 550 ti)
intel desktop dp43bf motherboard

These are all the specs I can think of

You will need a better power supply to power the 550ti. You need at least 1 six pin connector on your power supply.

You could check to see if you already have one on your psu.

no, the psu is the power supply unit. Its what powers the entire machine. Cheap power supply, umm that's a toughy. The power supply you use should always be of decent quality, because if it goes it could possible take some of your other equipment with it.

A psu will cost you about 50-60usd but its well worth the investment. We'll have to find something in the 550-600watt range. From companies like Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PC power and cooling, silverstone and a few other companies.

IF you buy one of the brands i posted above they will for sure come with at least one 6 pin connector. Just try not to by junk, or that's what you'll get out of it.

Go with the corsair with the mail in rebate. This choice is single gpu only though so keep that in mind if you do a total overhaul.

If you want the peace of mind of being able to run maybe another 550ti in sli one day, with a motherboard upgrade go with the Silverstone.

Both great choices though.

video card update

Go with the corsair with the mail in rebate. This choice is single gpu only though so keep that in mind if you do a total overhaul.

If you want the peace of mind of being able to run maybe another 550ti in sli one day, with a motherboard upgrade go with the Silverstone.

Both great choices though.

alright the people have the video card there and they are exchanging it for the one i have in. they said i dont need a power supply upgrade is this true?

alright the people have the video card there and they are exchanging it for the one i have in. they said i dont need a power supply upgrade is this true?

I looked up that case and you will definitely need a new PSU for that System to be stable. The "450w" rating is an absolute lie even according to their own label. The individual rails are rated as follows 12V 8A (yikes this is the rail the CPU and Video card use the most), 5V 13A, 3.3V 9A, 5VSB 2.5A = total 200.7 W.

A real 450w psu would handle that system no problem but the 200w actual "450w" gutless wonder included with that case won't even come close.

You need at least a good 400w PSU, a 500W+ would be recommended since the price difference is minimal.

Here are some recommendations:
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W = $60
ENERMAX NAXN ENP550AWT 550W = $65
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W = $70 (gives extra room for future upgrades)
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S500 500W = $80 ($60 after rebate)
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S600 600W = $90 ($70 after rebate) (again like the ECO 620 this gives you extra room for future upgrades)

I looked up that case and you will definitely need a new PSU for that System to be stable. The "450w" rating is an absolute lie even according to their own label. The individual rails are rated as follows 12V 8A (yikes this is the rail the CPU and Video card use the most), 5V 13A, 3.3V 9A, 5VSB 2.5A = total 200.7 W.

A real 450w psu would handle that system no problem but the 200w actual "450w" gutless wonder included with that case won't even come close.

You need at least a good 400w PSU, a 500W+ would be recommended since the price difference is minimal.

Here are some recommendations:
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W = $60
ENERMAX NAXN ENP550AWT 550W = $65
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W = $70 (gives extra room for future upgrades)
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S500 500W = $80 ($60 after rebate)
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S600 600W = $90 ($70 after rebate) (again like the ECO 620 this gives you extra room for future upgrades)

He's right, the reason why I suggested a psu upgrade in the first place. Numbers are spot on too.

I don't recommend a 550ti as it's a suckers card. I would go with an overclocked 460 or 560. As far as power supplies go I would recommend at least a 650w so you can upgrade/SLI in the future without having to go through this process again. What brand and model is your 450w PSU?

This quest has already been answered in your previous post Malwareremover. Yes you need a new power supply, it has been said by myself and another member. If you want to risk it go ahead but I'll tell you from experience.

Go google "Psu made a "pop sound" and is no longer working." Then you might take my advise.

@Buckshot420 some people have budgets

Back