Upgrades to an old computer

I think it is time to upgrade some parts of my computer.

Here is the basic information of what i currently run.

cpu= Intel Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600
(8M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

RAM= 4x Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 1gb Ram

PSU= 850W Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-850 Modular Cables Management

CARD= 1gb DDR3 2000mhz engts250

MOBO= ASUS Striker II Formula LGA775 motherboard

If need any other info then just let me know, am running XP windows on this old computer and am looking to goto windows 7. With this upgrade i just want to know a few things, should i upgrade to a i5 cpu, whixh means ill need to upgrabe my mobo etc.
I am looking to upgrade my ram but not sure about what card i should get.

I dont want to spend much over 1000 dollars which i want to include a cpu intel pref, mobo pref gigabyte, ram, windows 7, HDD, dvd writer/blu ray, full tower computer case, maybe a new video card, i hope this psu will be fine so i will leave that.

Also my mate has mention something about a solid state hard drive, i maybe looking to run my operating system on this and then go for a 1tb HDD for the rest.

Ty for your replies in advance.

Oh also i live in Australia so prices may vary abit from overseas but i will worry about that.

Once upon a time, long ago, when I entertained a notion to upgrade from Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista, I swore Microsoft offered some sort of upgrade compatibility program, direct from their web site. This program was designed to check and see if my computer could handle the upgrade to Vista, and if it couldn't, it would advise me of what needed to done to make my machine Vista worthy. More than likely Microsoft still offers their users a compatibility program to see if one can upgrade a Windows XP machine to Windows 7, you might want to check that out.

But good stuff anyhow, I enjoyed seeing your interest to better your system, then in turn it might help better yourself, win-win proposition if you ask me! :)

So i have been looking around online shops in oz and i will probably be lucky to get it below 1500 dollars for what i am looking for, I should actually say what this is for... Well of course gaming, i just want a rig thats going to last a few years with minimal upgrades needed to run most games.

Im going to throw this setup out and any feedback etc would be appreciated, i am fairly certain it's all compatatible.

A couple of things may vary just because there is so much choice when it comes down to mobo, video cards etc.

Here we go,

Case= Coolermaster RC-932 HAF advanced black case, I really just want a good full tower with decent cooling/venting. $178

cpu Intel core l5 2500k processor LGA 1155 3.3ghz. I am pretty set on this cpu.

Mobo= Gigabyte GA-z68xp-uda motherboard. I am after a gigabyte z68 mobo and is limited to stocks over here in oz. $218

Memory= G.skill 8gb(2x4) DDR3 1333mhz. Just after quality at a good price. $72

SSD= OCZ 60g vertex lll series. Is so expensive so is not too many choices don't want to spend over 200 dollars for one of these so the 60gb is enough. $149

HDD= Samsung spinpoint 1tb HDD. Just after a cheap and quality product. $57

Video card= ASUS GTX560 Ti 1GDDR5 card. After a decent card but not top of the line, there is so many out there am after quality for around 250 dollars. Have never bought a Radeon so not sure how they compare to nividia. $255

optical drive= LG sata 24x DVDR. just looking for cheap but qualitity one. On ever computer i have these failing way too often and hardly ever use it so i want something that lasts. Blu ray i may pick up down the track. $29

psu= Corsair TX850 atx psu. Plenty of choice here but i will take another psu so i dont have to strip my current computer down. 850w is more then enough so whatever fits nicely. $172.50

sound card= Asus xonar-DX/XD/A sound card. Just after a decent card that's cheap, have bought creative soundcards before and they dont always last so i am trying another brand. $95

OP= Windows 7 pro. Havent looked to see what more you get between the professional pack and home premium so is only 20 dollars difference.

I have a new LG 27" monitor and keyboards/mouse are easy to pick up.

So there is my list, i think the total price was around $1500 before postage so so about where i wanna be, i wouldn't mind lowering it abit so postage inc it came around $1500 all up.

Ty for everyone who gives me some feedback and points out other great choices etc it can be abit confusing for a newbie with so many options out there.

The memory and GPU I linked to would be slightly better in my opinion. As for the HAF Advanced, I feel that the SilverStone Raven RV02-E is a superior choice (although cases are a matter of personal aesthetic appeal).

Rest looks fine. However, if you would like to overclock a lot, I would suggest getting the ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard at that $200 price point.

Ty for the reply Ritwik, some good suggestions, the only reason i wasn't sure about your gpu is because i had always used nividia but there's no reason as to why i can't try out something new.

You also gave me a great online site in australia pc case gear that i totally forgot about when i was searching today. I would probably go for the memory you suggested but i couldn't find it on the other sites i used. I will have a look on that site and see what happens cheers.

Back