Upgrading a office computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantex_rox

I put together a computer to have at my dad's house with one of my HP vectra vl800 with a 1.7ghz p4 and 512mb ram. I currently have a Radeon 7000 64mb (I stole it from my cousins computer i made for him using one of the same motherboards, replaced it with a 16mb Nvidia RivaTNT2,) Soundblaster 16 sound card. I tried to install FarCry on it, but it somewhat runs it on the lowest possible settings. Then i also tried Painkiller black edition, and on lowest setting that was very choppy. So i was wondering, if i put this in it, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121260 , would that perhaps boost the performance? It uses PC800 RDRAM, and supports 2gb according to the manual, but even 1 gb of RDRAM on ebay is outragously expensive. I also think some of the performance is robbed from overheating. The processor heatsink has increadibly small fins, covered by a fan, but the space between the fins is too small for any airflow, so hot air just builts up underneath the fan.

Work on getting rid of the board. Use of RDRAM is nothing but trouble... very, very expensive, and mostly burned out as it has not been made in years... good though it once was.
You will be throwing good money after bad.
Get a simple AGP card if you need one, then scheme and plan to get a different motherboard, and build from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back