Upgrading an Acer (Need suggestions)

By GRunyon
Jan 30, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I got this brand new Acer Veriton 7600g for free. Considering I sold my old gaming computer for an X360 and was running on a 1.0GHz replacement, I was pretty excited. I opened up the case and noticed that it has an AGP 8x slot along with two more memory slots to fill. I took and put a spare fan in the empty fan port in the back of the case. I also pulled a 300w power supply out of the closet (probably spare from a cheap case purchase) and put that in there to replace the 200w power supply. I had 100 dollars in BestBuy money on a gift card on my wallet so I went out and got two more Kingston 512 and just installed them. Now, I want something sweet to put in the AGP slot. This is why I am posting today. I was thinking about getting the BFG 7800GS but I wanted to get some more opinions, first. I know I am not going to get anything real great, but this thing should at least last me through college. All I play is some strategy and MMO games, anyway... so this computer should last me a while.
  2. dmill89

dmill89 TechSpot Guru Posts: 737

First you will need to replace the powersupply. a cheep 300w won't run a high end card like that. I recomend this powersupply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954
    It is made by an exelent company (FSP) and will power a card like that and still leave headroom for future upgrades.

The geforce 7800 is a good card for agp systems but the Radeon X1950 pro is the best agp card currently avalible and rocomended if you can afford it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Property&Subcategory=48&Description=&Type=&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=696%3A9640&PropertyCodeValue=696%3A9639&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A23298&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A24896&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A25339&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A23257
    there are some X1950s
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.