Upgrading Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have a Dell Dimension 3000.

ok, so my computer is about 5 or 6 years old.
we ordered it through dell and it was shipped to use, didnt buy it from walmart or anything like that.
well i went to use autocad 09 and it requires 1GB of RAM.
i only had 256MB.
so i was pretty sure my ram needed to be upgraded.
i bought a 1GB stick of ram from ebay and put it in no less that 25 minutes ago.
it makes a HUGE difference in the way my computer runs.

but considering my computer is old, i want to upgrade pretty much all of it.
here's what im wanting to upgrade.

HardDrive(will probly by an external, so dont reallly need it)
Graphics Card
Processor
Add a DVD rom to play dvd's/burn dvd's.

^^ Is there anything else i should look into upgrading?

my question is, where to i start?
what are good things to look at.

here's what i have.

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM

im not sure what any of that means but the RAM.
what are some good things to look for as in Processor and things if that makes sense.
i pretty much want to upgrade my entire computer instead of buying a new one lol.

well in terms of processors you're limited with that old motherboard you have. If you're upgrading all these items you NEED a new power supply.

As far as videocards I'd recommend a 4850 1Gb version, or a 9600Gt.

We do need more info, What is the model of your dell. What is your budget? And your monitor resolution?

my question is, where to i start? what are good things to look at.

I suggest you start by looking for a new computer. I have a Dell desktop- 4300 or 4100 and wouldn't even consider upgrading it. Your system is even older, so save those pennies, define your needs for a new computer system and start looking.

In my opinion, it is not worth upgrading a system this old. Additionally, Dell sends the 'least' amount of everything- some upgrading can be done a purchase, but massive upgrading later is not worth it.

asdf

ok thanks, i think im just gonna add new harddrive, new graphics card and move on with this comptuer, and buy a new computer.
thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back