TechSpot

Upgrading CPU

By lais817
Jun 14, 2009
  1. Hi guys, looking at upgrading my cpu, liked the look of this one just for surfing the net and mild games "dubdubdub.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103234".

not sure if it is compatible with my chipset/mobo though. I have an ECS nettle2 mobo with an nvidia 6100v chipset? I know that the cpu on newegg is the right socket, but that's about it. little help? oh yeah, my current cpu is an AMD Sempron LE-11520+ @ 2000 MHz. Ta in advance guys

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Do some google searches for suggestions on replacing CPU's... Due to stepping codes, and hardware parameters, and the motherboard, it is not as easy to get a new CPU working in a use motherboad as you might think.

Sometimes the motherboard maker will have information on their website about what CPU's will be acceptable upgrades or replacements.

One thing for sure, use a new, clean hard drive, or one you do not care about.

3. lais817

lais817 TS Rookie Topic Starter

why the hard drive?

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

The page here says that you can use that CPU without problems. Can you confirm that it's the same mobo?

5. OLBY

OLBY TS Enthusiast Posts: 108

i prefer changing the mobo to an intel cpus ,intel is better

6. OLBY

OLBY TS Enthusiast Posts: 108

its expensive but worth it

7. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

That completely depends on the price bracket you are looking at. At the high end, yes, intel is on top, but AMD doesn't even try to compete with the Corei7's. For lower prices though, at the moment AMD has the upper hand in performance vs. cost.

8. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,377   +127

I think AMD holds performance in their price range, aside from the highest end core2quads when overclocked, of course, they don't have an i7 price range :p.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.