Upgrading Dell Dimension 8300's video card

System Specs:

Dell Dimension 8300
XP SP3
Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
4 GB Memory (3.25 GB Visible)
Motherboard Model 0W2562

I want a card that can handle youtube videos with no lag, and be able to play minecraft with no lag. IE I want the best card currently available. The PSU is not a factor (I am upgrading it anyway), and price is not a factor. I just want the best card I can get for my system and wants. My CPU is basically upgraded to the best pentium 4 (socket 478).

My current videocard is not doing what I want (Youtube sometimes lags, and minecraft will lag).

This is my current videocard...

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (AGP 8x)
Memory size - 256 MB
GPU Clock - 351 MHz
Memory Clock 532 MHz

Thankyou for your input.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would the newer motherboards fit in my dell case? also, all of my other hardware will be fine other than i need to upgrade to ddr2?

Also, if i go this route, will I still need to upgrade my PSU from 300w?

Yes the micro-ATX boards will fit the Dell case. You will need to use a different I/O shield and re-orient the front panel connector wires. DDR2 would be necessary with the newer motherboards now. The 300 watt power supply should be okay

"PC nerd,
I don't think ps3sucks could buy a new PC for under $200, do you?"

"and price is not a factor. I just want the best card I can get for my system and wants"

"Tmagic650" did you actually read any of this thread?

He said that price isn't an issue, I suggested that he could actually build a whole new computer. Upgrading an old computer is going to be worse performance/price than a new one.

To directly answer the question, something like the AGP 7950 is about the best you can buy for it. AMD/ATi probably has some card that may even be better, but I'm not familiar with their fast AGP offerings.

That 7950 is crazy expensive when comparing to just about any PCIe card. But I don't think that system you have is PCIe capable. The good news is that 6200 you currently have is a really weak card. If you were to buy a 6800 or a 7800 (nvidia) they would be much better. I don't think it is worth putting the best AGP card in there because your performance per dollar sucks. A 6800, 6900, 7800, or 7900 would be a pretty substantial upgrade, just find whichever one is the cheapest and you should be fine.

Back