Upgrading Dell Dimension 9200 processors

hi.i am new to this.i want to know the best processor in the market today thats a reasonable price that i can use on my dell dimension 9200.it currently runs a intel core 2 duo,this is a few years out of date i believe.i want a a significant upgrade in speed.any help would be great?.thank

Do you know which CPU you have in your machine? I believe those came with Core2Duo E6400's at one point.

hi,thanks for your response.it is a Intel core 2 6320 G Hz, processor.i need advice and feedback on a much better CPU in the market that can give my computer a great speed boost thats realistically cheap.i already have 4.gb of ram and plenty of storage on my hard disk.your info would be great.thanks

For the most part, you will not see any significant improvement in speed or performance by upgrading a socket 775 processor. You may have some luck using better memory, or a faster or higher performance hard drive.. updating your drivers... etc.
But economical choices are few, and disappointing.

would a Intel quad 2 duo processor be worth my while.i'm not sure if i can install the new Intel i7 line of processors?

OK,it's very doubtful that you could install a new E6800 in your PC and have it work. Your CPU is 65nm process,while the E6800 is 45nm. The 45nm CPUs require at the very least a BIOS update, and more likely another board to be utilized.

A CPU upgrade or overclock, doesn't really yield what you're expecting. You might get a 10% increase in system speed for a 30% overclock. And just bumping the CPU up a notch won't do a whole lot more than squat.

In a prebuilt PC, generally CPU upgrades are offered in the form of a package, along with more RAM, and a larger HDD. The CPU is rarely offered by itself.

Dell, (and other makers) will generally only offer BIOS updates to the extent of the CPUs that this PC could have reasonably been expected to ship with. So, you might be able to install a quad, but it most likely would have to be from the same era as your C2D is, (Q6600 or better). A core 2 quad wold only offer performance increases with respect to certain software, mostly video rendering, image processing, and maybe a few games.

That said;
.i'm not sure if i can install the new Intel i7 line of processors?
Ryan, someday you'll look back on that statement, perhaps fondly, and realize how silly it was. For your sake, I hope that someday is soon.

In the mean time, would you like to borrow my sledgehammer?

Work on a new computer.. Of upi are thinking of Windows 7, you won't have working drivers.

If you are thinking high speed for gaming, the processor alone will not make that much difference... You would probably need to change the memory... then the motherboard.

Most of those Proprietary systems have systems where so much is inter-related, that you cannot get significant peformance improvements without a huge cash dump for other components...

If you want to try it as an experiment... ok

Back