Upgrading graphics card

By flameman
Jun 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey guys ,I'm upgrading my graphic card from 8600gt so I'm thinking of 9800GTX+ ,my price range is around $100-$180 is it the best choice.
    my mobo is n-force 650 ultra will it face any problems with this card cause its pc-i 1.1 and the card is 2.0 or so
    the max res for me is 1600x900
    and im planing on playing games like GTA IV and CRYSIS with good FPS
  2. SgtBlades

SgtBlades Newcomer, in training Posts: 42

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4302063&CatId=1558
    I was looking at Sparkle and EVGA as well, but the BFG version topped em both by just a little.
    Oh yeah, if you want GOOD fps for Crysis as well as PERFECT quality, just buy two of these or two $60 or $70 versions of the 9600 and with a little overclock on the 9600s it'd be perfect quality. (maybe on the 9600s I ain't quite sure)
    But one 9800 gtx+ should do it. Note on the 9800 GTX+: it consumes a WHOLE lot more power than the standard 9800 GTX. So, have an adequate psu to support the card like a 750watt or an 800watt psu would be safer. I think it's 500 or 550watts that is actually needed to power the gpu, but I always overdo it.
  3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

4. teklord

teklord TechSpot Maniac Posts: 523

+1 to what Technochicken said, those are the best GPU's for the money that you can buy now. PCI-e 1.1 isn't much of a bottleneck to PCI-e 2.0 cards, if any at all.
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Are you going to buy locally or elsewhere? Fry's has this 9800GTX+ for $145, and with shipping to Jordan it'd come close to $180.

If you're buying from a local shop, get the HD 4870 as suggested above. You may also consider looking on Souq.com for possible deals.
  6. zion21

zion21 Newcomer, in training

I can vouch for the EVGA. I actually just got 2 of these cards from tigerdirect today. Dont forget tigerdirect has 15% off cash back with bing and shipping it always fast for me. Cant beat that deal![​IMG]
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.