Upgrading help

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SinOfDeath

Hey guys i was wondering if i can upgrade the CPU on my gateway m-7301u. I know about the cautions of overheating and power failure but all i want to know is: Is this CPU i have in it now removable.... And ... What do you recommend me to upgrade it to that inexpensive that is at least 2.6 GHz. And i checked the website under the computer name and couldn't find any info on it, So Please help, i just want to play left 4 dead at minimal settings WITHOUT it lagging, or at least combat arms.

Yes it is i got it refurbished from tigerdirect. Lol i was on that page, not even 30 seconds ago

Your issue may not be the cpu itself but the graphics and if they are integrated there is nothing you can really do. Todays games are very graphic intensive. If the specs I read are anything like your system you certainly have the RAM. That is one nice laptop.

Replacing hardware on a laptop is not like a PC. Perhaps raybay who has much knowledge about laptops can lend you advice, but if you are into gaming and don't want to go the console route then PCs are where it is at.

Edit Update: Check this out -- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080812115601AAiP60H

yeahhhhhhh..... about that im pretty sure the graphics card is built into the motherboard, and are u sure its not the CPU because if u read it it says i only have 2.1 GHz

And uhhh 1 more thing i found an extra space for something that looks like micro ram, but its not. I will take a picture if you need it but i wasn't sure if this was the Video car just a miniature version or something. never heard of something like that so

Heres the inside of my computer if that helps

Attachments

• Laptop Inside.jpg
    Laptop Inside.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Laptop inside 2.jpg
    Laptop inside 2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 6
OK i think i figured out what the slot was right beside my HDD it was my sound card I THINK because right on the opposite side of the casing is my sound inputs but i did notice a white and black wires leading to either my battery or my monitor so it is still a mystery

Ok i was able to remove my CPU out of curiosity now my question is what can i upgrade it to?

Gateway will not upgrade. The change in CPU will not make significance if you do. Since their bankruptcy, their once famous technical support has slid into the toilet.

Safe up for a better used or refurbished computer... better spent money in the long run.

Wait 1 more thing. Can i upgrade anything on my laptop? other then the ram (im at full capacity) and the DVD drive.

Wait 1 more thing. Can i upgrade anything on my laptop? other then the ram (im at full capacity) and the DVD drive.

There are two questions that should be asked whenever one wants to build or purchase a PC or purchase a latop: 1) What is your budget? and 2) What do you want to use it for? Both these questions are central to the whole process.

So the questions are: 1) What primarily do you want/wish for your laptop? and 2) What is your budget? I have a third one: If you can't upgrade the cpu or your video options why would you want to spend the $ to upgrade?

good point so your suggesting just buy a new laptop... ok then

No, I'm not suggesting you buy a new laptop. It appears from everything I have read that your laptop is good as it now stands. There is a lot you can do with it except game.

If you want to game my suggestion is you utilize your laptop for school work, etc. and save up for building your own PC for gaming.

OK cool but i am talking to my dad about taking my laptop back to tiger direct and exchanging it for a another one because the stupid website took down the laptop i was initially going to get then put back up as soon as i bought mine WTF? Its still gateway but i has a better processor blu-ray player bigger screen and 4 gb's of ram and its only 30$ more

NewEgg.com is a far, far better choice for online vendors. Their customer service is second to none. Keep it in mind for future reference. Let us know how it goes.

i don't think so because they sell mostly MSI asus and Toshiba. Toshiba isn't that bad but i don't like asus and MSI and on top of that there prices are very high and there are no refurbished models.

OK well thanks to everyone who helped ummmm i guess im stuck with my laptop till like 2 years and i break it or something :)

ASUS and MSI have some fantastic laptops. I recommend looking over their range if you are buying a laptop in the future, or are helping someone buy one; they provide far better value for money than other vendors IMO.

That being said, you should try and get your laptop exchanged for the new, updated model if you can do so for less than $50-100. It doesn't hurt to try IMO.

"...some fantastic laptops..."
In what regard?
Work well new.
Fail just as fast as they age, without the support that users are accustomed... and just as many failures.
They are a good two year machine, but their hardware does not appear to be any better, nor is their tech support.

In regard to price vs performance, as I stated, and by reviews of most of the laptops. I just recommended considering them as an option, not to buy from them for sure.

well it sucks because i was talking to my dad about returning it and it turns out if you read the terms and conditions there is a 25% restocking fee which is about 200 bucks so im not paying that on top of back orders and shipping

OK i know this post is old but i really thought about what you guys said about the processor and i still need to know because i recently ordered windows 7 for free from the gateway website and i know processors update all the time. but i know one day processors will get to the point where you have to upgrade to a certain speed to do anything so if you disagree with this don't tell me because i probably know im wrong but could you please just give me a yes or no answer to updating my processor. YES OR NO Thats all i need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back