TechSpot

Upgrading HP a340a Video Card

By Chrispy
Mar 17, 2008
  1. Hello to all,

I am new to this forum and was hoping for a little guidance if someone has the time. Unfortunately I am unluck enough to have an oldish HP pc that has one of those average onboard viseo chips. The system only comes with PCI slots no AGP so I opted for an ATI Radeon 7500 128MB PCI Card that "apparently" should plug and play. I tried this and the monitor stayed black, however more alarmingly there was a series of quick beeps from the internal speaker as if there was a problem picking up the card at all. I had the monitor hooked up to the new card at the time also. I then removed the card and checked the BIOS - it automatically picked up the PCI device and changed to that from the onboard. No matter what I do the system will not recognise the card. I even tried installing the card on another suitable PC however had the same result of a few quick beeps. Does this sound like a faulty card to those out there?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,248   +92

Given that you've had the same results on two seperate systems, yes, I would bet on a defective VPU. Hopefully it's covered?

3. Chrispy

Chrispy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Zenosincks,

It was a brand new unit - Via e-bay seller. I have contacted him and I'll see what he says. So, doesn't sound like a system issue to you? Eveything always works on it and haven't had any problems like this.

Regards,

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,248   +92

More often than not BIOS beeps are tied to RAM or VPU issues. If you've had the same results on two PC's, I'd definitely bet on a defective VPU.

The fact that you just said you got it off of Ebay sort of solidifies it. Ebay is a very shaky place to buy PC components.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.