Upgrading laptop CPU, good idea?

1. I was wondering if replacing my laptop processor (T5550) with a faster one would be a good idea. If the TDP of the replacement processor is the same or less does that mean that my cooling system would be adequate?
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

yes i think that it would be fine as long as the thermals are near the same.
  3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Is the laptop under warranty? If it is then you'll void it. Make sure you do plenty of reading before attempting to replace the cpu. In terms of notebooks and upgrading parts yourself its usually least to most difficult in this order. BATTERY, RAM, HDD(unless you have a sliding external removable one),MONITOR, CPU, VGA(rarily done because you have to find one in the thermal limits of the last one you replaced, you also need to know how to solder and know someone who can get you one.)
  4. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 212

Changing CPUs in laptops can be quite a pain.
  5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

Yes I'd rather not.
  6. whiteandnerdy

whiteandnerdy TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 69

ive had my laptop apart just for the hell of it. have upgraded the ram and HDD already. The cpu is not that hard to get to.