Upgrading motherboard and processor

argueta789

I am looking to upgrade my Current motherboard (ECS-RC410M) and Processor (Pentium 4 5xx) in order to make my computer faster but mainly to be able to use high performance graphic cards. Can you guys help me get parts to make this possible for under $400? also replace my current PSU hipro 300w with a OC-Z Fatality 550w psu. I was looking to put in the HIS HD RADEON 6770 but someone told me that my current computer would bottleneck the card.
also i would like to keep using my seagate baracuda 7200.8 300 gb hd , and hp pavillion a1324n case, and two optical drive (one dvd, and cd).
thanks

Questions:
  • What is your preference for CPU based boards AMD, Intel, or open to either one?
  • You mentioned your HDD. Is it an IDE or SATA drive? (IDE support is fading away and may be hard to find in new tech)
One thing you need to be aware of, changing the motherboard also constitutes a new operating system. Your current operating system (if OEM) would be tied to the motherboard you are replacing.

Judging from the information in your other thread (Help Me Upgrade Please!), you have a case that will only support Micro-ATX or smaller motherboards. Also judging from the fact you seem content with a P4 and only wanting better gaming graphics, you should be most pleased with the performance of any new tech offered today.

Keep in mind that you can save a few bucks with the CPU/Memory and have an option to upgrade later if necessary. The important thing is to decide on the motherboard that will suit your needs. Pick a motherboard that has the greatest value as far as CPU/Memory support. Don't pick a motherboard that is three years old and then wish later you had chosen newer tech.

My pick's would be: (As you can tell I'm not a AMD guy)

For reference a Core i3-2100 only cost $120 but has comparable performance to Core2 Quad Q9400 which cost about $200. The Core i3-2100 uses allot less power as well. Both of which have a performance value nearly 10 times that of a P4 at 2.8GHz.

I think that he's got an HP and in that case (if I'm not wrong), he'll be able to transfer his windows to a new computer.
Good point on the case. I have no idea what'll fit.

I'll suggest an AMD build.

MSI 760GM-P35 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
PNY XLR8 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MD4096KD3-1600-X8
XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

A bit less than $400 total.
Is this for gaming? I think you'll be satisfied with this. It'd also be reasonable to go with a 6850 and the OCZ power supply you mentioned.

thanks for the reply guys, yes i have a hp case pavillion a1324n. and i am pretty sure that the hdd is sata (its a red cable) . i really have no preference , i have always had intel , but right now all i care about is value,performance, and budget. please give me links to canadian website any combo that will fit my case. the computer came with windows xp. 400 everything. i will buy windows 7 seperate

Back