Upgrading motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
well im getting the following mother board and psu Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 AM2+ / AM3 Ready AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD
Athena Power AP-MPS3ATX40 400W ATX12V MicroATX PS3 v 2.2 Power Supply.

Now the main problem i have is i dont know if the mobo im getting will work with the cables that connect to the power button on my current case which is a dimension 3000

If they wont please recommend a case that will work with the new mobo

Note: im already replacing everything else my old computer had except for the IDE dvd drives.

You can search for these parts on newegg to find the specs i had to post there names instead of the links because i need 5 posts to post links apparently....:/

If it's got one of those all-in-one front panel connectors like a lot of the Dell models do, probably not. There are methods of modifying it but it's probably not worth your time/frustration.

Just about any other retail case that conforms to ATX/Micro-ATX standards should suffice. Also, as a note, I'd recommend something other than your selected power supply. If you provide a total budget for your picture either myself or someone else will reply with an improved suggestion.

Also, what are the specs of the parts your keeping?
CPU, RAM, Graphics Card, add in cards, etc.

You set on an AMD setup? Some more details on the exact components you need would help (I should have mentioned that earlier, sorry).

Assuming you only need the motherboard, CPU, PSU and case:

Asus P5KPL-CM $54

Intel Pentium E5200
$73 or Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 $120

XClio Stablepower 460W $46 or OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY $50 (rebate)

Case is up to you, $35-$50 should net you a solid case, potentially even less.

That's only $200 - $275ish in total, so you'd still have wiggle room to play with the components.

heres one case i found seems preety good to me.. Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Yes im set on a AMD machine

Also im keeping IDE Dvd drives i currently have and replacing everything else

I have this case for my main workhorse. Cannot be happier: the entire front panel is wire mesh with a filter behind it. Collects very low amount of dust compared to my other computers and has great airflow. If you use only two 5.25" bays, you have three more to stick another 120mm fan in front to improve air flow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

If you are short on cash after all parts, that will work, just note that the side air duct is not filtered, so you would need to clean the processor heatsink every once in a while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Just noticed that you are looking for a micro-ATX. Is it a must, or you are just looking at the motherboard and picking the case? I would, personally, go with a mid-tower, if you are not space constrained. It is much easier to work with and has some room to grow - stick in some extra hard drives, etc.

:) Hard to give last moment suggestions because we don't even know what the last moment is. You've yet to inform us exactly what components you plan on keeping to use in the new PC and their specifications, as well as what your goal is for the PC's outcome.

If you haven't already bought the parts, try getting this PSU. Excellent output and build quality for a great price. Also, the Antec Three Hundred is a fantastic high-quality case that can be had for quite cheap here.

Have you decided on a CPU yet? You could either go for a cool-running but less powerful Brisbane chip, or go for a hotter-running, more powerful Windsor chip; it will depend on what you need the computer for. Gaming-wise, I recommend any Windsor chip with 2MB of L2 cache. It will blow-away any Brisbane chip and paired with a decent cooler, can OC very well, should you choose to go down that route. For general or HTPC use, a Brisbane is your best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back