TechSpot

Upgrading my Acer retail desktop for gaming

By Seano
Dec 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I will post a link to a computer that was purchased for me. I have been out of computer gaming for awhile and have recently started playing a game called Dayz. It is a modifcation for a game called Arma 2. The computer runs most things that I have played fairly well. However, Arma is a high demand game which typically gets me under 20FPS. I was thinking of getting rid of the computer and buying a new one or upgrading some parts inside. From what I have been reading, processor, video card, ram and power supply would be good places to start. I haven't taken the computer apart yet to look inside and see what I can add to the current motherboard. Budget is a concern and I don't want to go crazy. I don't need to play on ultra settings but normal or high would be nice. Any suggestions would be great. Here is the PC http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AM34...Windows-7-Home-Premium-Monitor-Not-I/19714387

Thanks

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,123   +1,523

Without knowing your full system specs I would say, you could probably get by with a GPU and power supply upgrade. Do you know what size power supply you have in the machine? I'm also assuming you don't have a dedicated graphics solution, since you have an AMD-A6 CPU.

DragonMaster Jay likes this.
  3. Seano

Seano TS Rookie Topic Starter

It is a 300Watt power supply. It is currently bone stock. This was the original concern when I opened the box. Figured I would toast it

4. Seano

Seano TS Rookie Topic Starter

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.