Upgrading my Dell desktop

winterwolf1223

Hi everyone!!!

I currently have a Dell Dimension 2400 and I want to upgrade it by getting a new motherboard that has an PCI-Express slot and more RAM slots than 2. Any suggestions to a good motherboard?

-edit-
Oh..I forgot to mention, I believe it is a Micro ATX motherboard I am currently using....

Thanks!!!

What OS are you going to run and are your upgrading for game use or just a little more speed.

With an upgade like this your best bet is to make an enquiary on a reputable internet site that supplies computer components. Tell then what you need the upgrade for and they should come back with a package that will all work together. You will undoubtedly also need a new PSU for the extra power.

I would suggest Novatech for the UK, as a good place to start, but don't know about other countries.

I don't think upgrading a Dell Dimension 2400 is worth it. It uses the 845GV chipset and has a Pentium 4 / Celeron CPU. So you are basically looking to upgrade the motherboard + CPU + RAM and adding a new GPU for gaming. I would suggest starting a fresh build from scratch. If you have a specific budget, we could help you out in selecting your components.

I don't think upgrading a Dell Dimension 2400 is worth it. It uses the 845GV chipset and has a Pentium 4 / Celeron CPU. So you are basically looking to upgrade the motherboard + CPU + RAM and adding a new GPU for gaming. I would suggest starting a fresh build from scratch. If you have a specific budget, we could help you out in selecting your components.

Well I do have new computers that I actually use instead of this one. I was hoping to also get some experience on working with inside the computer =) I am an amateur.

first i would find out if that is a standard ATX/mATX PSU in the case with a standard connector.

check your other computers and compare them.

for a while dell would use non-standard connectors and PSU's. i am not sure if your model falls into the category.

as mentioned, there are not many build out options available.

what are you trying to achieve? what do you want to do with the computer? what does need to be able to do when you are done? whats the budget?

first i would find out if that is a standard ATX/mATX PSU in the case with a standard connector.

check your other computers and compare them.

for a while dell would use non-standard connectors and PSU's. i am not sure if your model falls into the category.

as mentioned, there are not many build out options available.

what are you trying to achieve? what do you want to do with the computer? what does need to be able to do when you are done? whats the budget?

Well, I was hoping getting a new motherboard will allow me to have a faster cpu, more RAM slots and AGP or even PCI-E slot. But I think I am going to just throw it out. Thanks guys!

There is no reason why you should not build a new system using the old case as that will save some money. You would just need to replace the major components and then re-use the hard drive and CD drives. I am sure any good supplier of components will be able to supply a package within your buget and tell you what PSU you will need so you can then see if that needs to be upgraded as well.

I was hoping to also get some experience on working with inside the computer =) I am an amateur.

That's pretty much what I'm suggesting. Just look towards building a new system from scratch. Since you're ultimately changing all the important components (motherboard, CPU and RAM) you might as well pick up a new PSU and GPU.

Back