Upgrading my Dell Dimension 5150 graphics card?

By cosmos100
Oct 31, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Guys,

As you may know from other posts I know enough about computers to get by on this site... just. I just seem to have a bit of a weakness with graphics cards (which isn't great when I get asked at work whats the best one to have!).

So here are my computer specs and anything else you'll ever need to know about my computer: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs1.htm#wp1052310

I have a budget of about £70 - I know my computer probably can't support anything amazing - Im not a hardcore online gamer I just tend to buy the odd goodish game which requires a bit in the graphics department.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

PS - I have 2GB of RAM now.
  2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

as long as you have a desktop pc (i think from your model number it is but dell models aren't my specialty ;)) then you can quite easily upgrade your graphics card :)

you could get either of these cards in your budget: 7900GS or 8600GT but these are at the top end of your £70

however, if you wanted to spend a bit less there's a lot of choice out there, there are also cheaper version of the cards that i supplied links to
  3. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

4. cosmos100

cosmos100 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 82

I said about £70 so I'm more than willing to go a few quid over.
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,282   +24

This provides performance similar to the X1950PRO but pulls lesser power, which is critical since your PSU is a proprietary one that provides only about 22A on the +12V rails combined, which will not be enough for an X1950PRO, which requires a minimum of 30A. The 7900GS by comparison requires a minimum of 20A so you can bet it will work fine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.