TechSpot

Upgrading my graphics

By LFoste2
Jul 22, 2009
  1. I have a Compaq AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor with a Nvidia GeForce 6150 graphics card,250watt power supply,PCIe empty slot,and 2gb DDR2 RAM.What is the best graphics card for my computer?

2. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 729

For a better graphics card, you will need to replace your powersupply also. What is your budget for this upgrade?

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hi LFoste2.
    welcome to Techspot. well your going to need a new PSU, and here is why.The 6150 graphics card you refer to is actually integrated graphics, and even a low end card that does not require any additional power connectors, and gets all it needed power from the PCIE slot,(i believe this one draws a meager 45w if memory serves) like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103055
    requires a 300w power supply. what exactly do you expect from a new graphics card, or what do you want to be able to do? and as Techno asked, whats your budget for this upgrade?

4. LFoste2

LFoste2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Looking to spend about 2 to 3 hundred dollars,and I'm looking to upgrade for better graphics with online games like LOTRO

5. LFoste2

LFoste2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Looking to spend about 2 to 3 hundred dollars,and I'm looking to upgrade for better graphics with online games like LOTRO

6. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.