Upgrading my Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

magaman598

I've been thinking and while I have the cash, I should get a new Motherboard, I've been looking around newegg and I found a Board with DDR3/DDR2 Support and AM2/AM2+/AM3 Support also. The only thing is that I've never used a board from Jetway, and that's the company that's selling it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153151

Thats the best one that i've found so far, but I've been just looking on Newegg. Does anyone have a better Motherboard that they can suggest?

Your current one has the same exact chipset, so why do you want to buy another board with the same chipset? If it's only for the DDR2 & DDR3 support, it's a waste of cash. Also, Jetway doesn't have that great a reputation.

If you want to spend the cash, spend it on a more powerful video card instead.

You likely do not need it. Are you shopping strictly on price?
This is not a good board. Further, it offers you no noticeable improvement.
There is no reason to move up top DDR3, but it might be time to upgrade to
Asus, Foxconn, MSI...
If you are looking at the AMD790FX/GX chipset, look at
Gigabyte
MSI
ASUS
BIOStar
DFI

If you are considering the X58 chipset then consider
ASUS
Biostar
DFI
EVGA
Gigabyte
Intel
MSI

The Jetway is OK, but the others are better unless you have a great deal of experience in building systems.
Read a lot of reviews before you decide.

The reason why I want a Board with DDR2/DDR3 Support is so later, I don't have to worry about getting a new Board when I can't find any DDR2 RAM or another AM2+ Processor. It's just future proofing.

Don't bother. AM3 processors are backwards-compatible with AM2+ motherboards. And your specific motherboard is already an AM3 board. DDR2 will also be around for some time to come, since DDR3 is still more expensive to produce and is not used as widely as DDR2 is. Until DDR4 arrives in 2012 or later to take the place of DDR3 now, and DDR3 goes the way of DDR2 (with respect to production, availability and pricing), DDR2 will remain a viable option IMO.

Future-proofing is next-to-useless IMO, since computer technology changes so rapidly that today's new parts can become "old-tech" in less than a year.

Oh and BTW, your mobo is a fantastic overclocker, and will allow you to unlock the cores on an X3 720 or X2 550 since it has ACC.

The 955 is not supported on your motherboard. Your next best bet is the 940BE, if you are going to OC. Otherwise, I recommend going with the X4 920.

Also, that GTX 260 is not a good choice IMO. I recommend an HD 4870 1GB (preferably from XFX). It will outperform the GTX 260 and will be cheaper to boot. If you want one with aftermarket cooling for lower temps, look at the Sapphire Vapor-X and HIS ICEQ4+ Turbo editions of the same card. They too are cheaper than the GTX 260, and can be overclocked too.

Future proofing?
Name any memory since SDRAM that is not available at a reasonable price.
Memory is the least important component on any motherboard... next to the exhaust fan... it will likely always be available.
Even RDRAM has dropped dramattically in price and is widely available... and that memory was taken out of production by the courts.

I'm not really too fond the the ATI Cards, just about every ATI Card I've owned have fried.

I still have an FX5900 and a MX400 from that run perfectly, and they've been used quite a bit.

I've been thinking and while I have the cash, I should get a new Motherboard, I've been looking around newegg and I found a Board with DDR3/DDR2 Support and AM2/AM2+/AM3 Support also. The only thing is that I've never used a board from Jetway, and that's the company that's selling it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153151

Thats the best one that i've found so far, but I've been just looking on Newegg. Does anyone have a better Motherboard that they can suggest?

i'ed stay away from a jetway board.i build some computers and have had nothing but complaints

You have not responded to many suggestions that have been posted.

For the life of me, I cannot figger out why you think that Jetway is a good board. Can you tell us reviews you have discovered.
Have you looked at the brands we previously suggested?t

well first of all on the ati cards you have had what brands were they cause if you will by jetway lol then im wondering what brand the ati cards were. ATI has come a long way since the old 9800 years and the cards are really good and perform well for the money try getting an 4870 card it will last you a long time just get one from like xfx or HIS or sappire .

I'll second that. You may need the nVidia card for the very fastest computers and the most complex games... but ATI makes very good cards. We find they last much longer, on average, than the NVidia cards.

Sorry about not responding, I've been busy looking for work. the 9800 card that I had was from Sapphire. I honestly haven't been looking at motherboards.

man i suggest getting the amd x3 720 cpu and a 4870 video card from ati you will see big number differences in games and you can OC that 720 cpu to like 3.7 GHz on air.

@ Rage : Will the HD 4870 outperform the GTX 260? I read a few reviews a while back which say that the 2 cards ae almost at par, with the GTX 260 performing a little better.

And +1 to the X3 720. :)

And generally lasts longer while creating fewer irritating problems that you have to track down online or at TechSpot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back