Upgrading PC, chipset/CPU conflicting issue

Well first off I'd like to introduce myself as this is my first post! (Name's DarkZone, but DZ for short.)

My question (hopefully I put it in the right place!) Is, if a CPU has an embedded Memory Controller in it, that wont do anything to the NB, seeing how it itself is a memory controller?

( Newbie to the tech world, Id like to add :p )

CPU's with integrated memory controllers would require motherboards that support it so if you get a socket 1366 mobo, any CPU for that socket will be fine. It won't be an issue finding a motherboard to match your CPU as long as you match the sockets.

Intel designed the CPU integrated memory controller to replace the northbridge which is also known as the MCH (memory controller hub). There's currently only one chipset that supports a socket LGA 1366 CPU, and that's "X-58". That applies to desktop boards only. Server boards, (Zeon compatible), carry a different designation.

Well what I mean, is that if I had an Athlon II x2, and I have a motherboard with a MCH on it. Then would the internal memory controller in the CPU mess with the MCH. (Or are they just seperate things individually..)

The memory controller hub its only for Intel´s socket, on AMD (Meaning AM2,AM2+ or AM3) you will have no problems cause you will never fit that AM3 CPU into a LGA1366 or in a LGA 775. so dont worry about that at all, If you are AMD you MOBO HAVE TO BE SOME "AMwateverport" if you buy a "LGA watever" board... you just wasted your money, cause you wont get to fit them....

My question (hopefully I put it in the right place!) Is, if a CPU has an embedded Memory Controller in it, that wont do anything to the NB, seeing how it itself is a memory controller?
It won't happen, why would you have two memory controllers anyway?
I suppose the answer would be yes since they aren't designed to work together.

I'm going to "suppose" "or "outright guess", that this situation has been accounted for by either AMD, or MSI. One again "guesses" that upon detection of an on chip MCH, that would be picked up and dealt with by the motherboard. As I said, that's just a guess. I would suggest again, that you go to the MSI link I provided, and check the compatibility charts

If you have an AMD then the memory controller is built into the processor. It was only after AMD had been so successful with this (IMC) that Intel finally jumped to an IMC themselves.
If your board is AM3 you are better off with a suitable AM3 or AM2+ cpu.

Back