TechSpot

Upgrading processor for my Dell XPS 410 computer

By Gophers
Sep 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell XPS 410 Computer. My computer is a Intel Core 2 CPU 4300 1.80 GHZ, 1.79 GHZ 1 GB of ram computer. Is it worth it to upgrade. I would like to upgrade to a at least 2.5 or 3.0 if possible. I not into buying a new computer right now, as I want to save my money to get a new laptop computer instead.

What would be the best option out there. Any help would be great.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,399   +1,589

If you can find a Q6600 or Q6700, those are the only two quad core processors that will work in your PC. All other quad core processors are 1333 MHz and requires a motherboard that supports the frequency.
    Just remember the motherboard you have does not support processors with a 1333 MHz FSB. Make sure if you buy a CPU upgrade, it has either a 800 MHz or 1066 MHz FSB.

3. Gophers

Gophers TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank for the reply. I will look at the 2 links you posted, should be some good info. the reason I want to upgrade is I like to play games like MLB 2k12 and NBA 2k12 and 2k13. But those hardly run on this currect system. but I will check you 2 links out.

4. Gophers

Gophers TS Rookie Topic Starter

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,399   +1,589

Good luck with the upgrade! :)

I've got a Dell XPS 400 (Dimension 9100) in the corner. Seems the Pentium D 820 has good performance compared to other compatible CPU's. I wasn't willing to spend over $50 for an upgrade.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.