Upgrading processor

Sorry, this may be stupid question but I'd rather ask it here online.

I want to upgrade my processor to an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or maybe something better if I'm able.

I'm just unsure if I'm actually able to upgrade my laptop at all.

I'm not very good with computers so I'm just going to give all the specs I can:

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 28473ZU
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Dueo CPU T6570 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I would also like to know if i can upgrade to an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
from my graphics card which i guess is:
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

any help I'll greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

thanks for the help ! I decided I'm just not going to try and mess with this laptop and just use it for school and what not and get a desktop for just games. The laptop upgrades might generate too much heat, is what people have been telling me, but thanks for the quick reply !

:) Glad to help! I agree with the desktop decision...the upgrades are usually considered to be within the acceptable limits of wattage usage and heat production if the upgrades are coming off the official manufacturers tech support pages!

With that said...I agree that upgrade at the least does increase heat loads to other components on that particular model...and that equals shortened service life of those components...what is acceptable to the technician and what's acceptable risk to me is ALWAYS different...vastly different since I'm the one paying out of my pocket...Good choice!

Respectfully,
tekman42

With a laptop, or any other manufactured computer, you can usually upgrade parts to the extent that the same model was offered with better parts.

Foe example, if a "Circumstance 999" was available with a faster CPU, than you have in your, "Circumstance 999", it would be, most likely, a drop in plug and play.

That notwithstanding, a slightly faster CPU generally has little to no effect on performance, and I personally wouldn't screw around trying to upgrade a laptop.

More memory maybe, bigger hard drive, go for it, swap the DVD drive for Blu-Ray, hm, on a dare, the rest of it, I'd leave alone.

All things being considered during an upgrade of the cpu....the front side bus MUST match the capabilities of the motherboard chipset which in this circumstance IS 800MHz...YOU CANNOT RUN A FASTER CPU WITH A FRONT SIDE BUS SPEED OF MORE THAN 800 MHz...for instance a faster cpu with a FSB of 1066 MHz WILL NOT WORK IF THE MOBO DOESN"T SUPPORT THAT SPEED and I challenge you to prove different...the speed of the chipset and the Memory architecture and it's associated bus speed must match what the processor fsb runs at period!

Here's INTEL's take on exactly this question...
http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...tel-mobile-processor-compatibility-guide.html

AND THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS Especially note (3)

Compatibility

In order for a particular processor to be compatible with a particular laptop; (1) the processor must be physically compatible with the laptop socket, (2) the laptop chipset must support the processor, (3) the chipset front side bus speed must match the processor front side bus speed
(4) the laptop BIOS must support the processor.

I do know how to read and since I own a Dell laptop vostro. C2D...and have looked into exactly this when researching what cpus match my socket type AND fsb...this is how INTEL decides compatibility for cpu and mobo AND this is what determines the bios code that allows/disallows any particular cpu/fsb combination or compatibility

I'm not trying to be rude or make you mad....I do my research PRIOR to posting to make sure what I am telling somebody that doesn't know....gets the right answer that can help them make up their own minds...I've NEVER purchased a pre-built computer...I build ALL my own, my family's, my parents, and I have played on both side of the fence...AMD and INTEL...extensively.

I hold a A.A.S in network technology, a A.A.S. of Telecommunications, a B.S. of Technology with Networking, and am rapidly approaching my M.S. of Technology.

I would NEVER knowingly steer somebody wrong on a technology question when all the answers are to be found ONLINE with a bit of judicious research.

Please accept my apology if I offended you with my first reply...but I'm not a jerk that runs around posting willy/nilly..(.I'm NOT saying you are, I'm just saying I do my research first..).without thought as to if the person asking for the advice can afford to get a wrong answer and then run out and spend a large chunk of their budget they may not have...only to find out I lied to them...that's not acceptable to me or any ethos of decency and honesty in these types of forums...I've been a member of more clubs online than I can count for better than a dozen years and my track record for appropriate answers is pretty decent...I'm also listed at LinkedIn, Cisco, Techspot, TomsHardware, and on and on, I have a technet membership, I have taught Cisco Networking classes, I don't believe I'm making a mistake in what I stated above and I believe that I'm 100% corrrect in saying that the Chipset capabilities, the CPU fsb, and the type of socket ALL must be compatible...you can sometimes down clock your ram....but the cpu fsb and the chipset speeds must MATCH or be compatible...the lenovo mentioned REQUIRES a 800 MHz architecture to function...the bios will NOT recognize a cpu that isn't compatible with the chipset in speed...ie...fsb. I gave the individual the correct answer to his question and that in general is how DDR II and all it's associated hardware have ALWAYS worked because that's the way they were designed...now the cpu architecture isn't designed that way and because the modern cpu IMC talks DIRECTLY to the memory and a FSB isn't utilized any longer per this:

http://www.symbianize.com/archive/index.php/t-369420.html

Read Note (2) below to clarify the difference of having a IMC...integrated memory controller... in modern cpu's utilizing DDR III and associated architecture versus using DDR II and it's associated architecture!

What Chipset Should I Choose?

The motherboard usually has 2 chipsets

1. Northbridge - for Intel LGA 775, it holds the Memory Controller and the PCI-E Controller. The Northbridge determines the type, maximum amount, and maximum speed of memory. It also determines the number of PCI-E lanes that will be available.

2. Southbridge - it handles the Input/Output devices (keyboard, mouse, gamepads), storage devices (HDD, SSD, USB) and other components of the PC

Modern AMD and Intel CPU's now have an Integrated Memory Controller. So it is now the CPU that determines the type, maximum amount, and maximum speed of memory. The Northbridge is now only left with the function of supplying the PCI-E lanes. Modern CPU's don't use the FSB anymore, they now communicate directly with the memory.

For Intel LGA 1156 motherboards, there is only one main chip - the Platform Controller Hub. It functions more like a Southbridge and the 2 common chipsets are P55 and H55. The main difference between P55 and H55 is that H55 allows the use of IGP's of Intel Core i3 500 and Core i5 600. Using a Core i3 500 or Core i5 600 on a P55 board is possible but the IGP will be disabled. All LGA 1156 processors are compatible with P55 and H55.

Intel LGA 1366 boards still has two chips- the Northbridge and the Southbridge. It only has one type of Northbridge - the X58. The X58 chipset has 36 PCI-E lanes but this becomes only significant in a multi-GPU setup.

Respectfully,

tekman42

Bobby Ketcham

Again I'm pretty sure that's not exactly true.
Also, I absolutely agree about the merits of upgrading a laptop... with the exception that I would say specifically upgrading to a smaller SSD would also be a great upgrade. Everything else... just leave it alone.

I hold a A.A.S in network technology, a A.A.S. of Telecommunications, a B.S. of Technology with Networking, and am rapidly approaching my M.S. of Technology.

I would NEVER knowingly steer somebody wrong on a technology question when all the answers are to be found ONLINE with a bit of judicious research.

Please accept my apology if I offended you with my first reply...but I'm not a jerk that runs around posting willy/nilly..(.I'm NOT saying you are, I'm just saying I do my research first..).without thought as to if the person asking for the advice can afford to get a wrong answer and then run out and spend a large chunk of their budget they may not have...only to find out I lied to them...that's not acceptable to me or any ethos of decency and honesty in these types of forums...I've been a member of more clubs online than I can count for better than a dozen years and my track record for appropriate answers is pretty decent...I'm also listed at LinkedIn, Cisco, Techspot, TomsHardware, and on and on, I have a technet membership, I have taught Cisco Networking classes, I don't believe I'm making a mistake in what I stated above and I believe that I'm 100% corrrect in saying that the Chipset capabilities, the CPU fsb, and the type of socket ALL must be compatible...you can sometimes down clock your ram....but the cpu fsb and the chipset speeds must MATCH or be compatible...the lenovo mentioned REQUIRES a 800 MHz architecture to function...the bios will NOT recognize a cpu that isn't compatible with the chipset in speed...ie...fsb. I gave the individual the correct answer to his question and that in general is how DDR II and all it's associated hardware have ALWAYS worked because that's the way they were designed...now the cpu architecture isn't designed that way and because the modern cpu IMC talks DIRECTLY to the memory and a FSB isn't utilized any longer per this:

http://www.symbianize.com/archive/index.php/t-369420.html

Read Note (2) below to clarify the difference of having a IMC...integrated memory controller... in modern cpu's utilizing DDR III and associated architecture versus using DDR II and it's associated architecture!

What Chipset Should I Choose?

The motherboard usually has 2 chipsets

1. Northbridge - for Intel LGA 775, it holds the Memory Controller and the PCI-E Controller. The Northbridge determines the type, maximum amount, and maximum speed of memory. It also determines the number of PCI-E lanes that will be available.

2. Southbridge - it handles the Input/Output devices (keyboard, mouse, gamepads), storage devices (HDD, SSD, USB) and other components of the PC

Modern AMD and Intel CPU's now have an Integrated Memory Controller. So it is now the CPU that determines the type, maximum amount, and maximum speed of memory. The Northbridge is now only left with the function of supplying the PCI-E lanes. Modern CPU's don't use the FSB anymore, they now communicate directly with the memory.

For Intel LGA 1156 motherboards, there is only one main chip - the Platform Controller Hub. It functions more like a Southbridge and the 2 common chipsets are P55 and H55. The main difference between P55 and H55 is that H55 allows the use of IGP's of Intel Core i3 500 and Core i5 600. Using a Core i3 500 or Core i5 600 on a P55 board is possible but the IGP will be disabled. All LGA 1156 processors are compatible with P55 and H55.

Intel LGA 1366 boards still has two chips- the Northbridge and the Southbridge. It only has one type of Northbridge - the X58. The X58 chipset has 36 PCI-E lanes but this becomes only significant in a multi-GPU setup.

Respectfully,

tekman42

Bobby Ketcham
Well Bob, I don't actually have any degrees in computers whatsoever, and I'm really only known here. With that out of the way, I've known what a "Northbridge and "Southbridge" are for many years. I'm also aware of Intel's very simple nomenclature regarding, ""P" as meaning "performance" chipsets with no IGP, and their "G" or "graphics" chipsets which DO, have an IGP. Yeah, I know about , "H" and "Z" too.

What exactly that has to do with the base discussion of FSB speed, I have no idea.

And why you wasted all that fine typing on some things that are so glaringly obvious to most of us here, only compounds the mystery.

Since you're known all over the web, perhaps you might give us a break, and go talk down to somebody else, wherever you find a willing ear.

To captaincranky:

I think that your reply was a waste of this forums time and intent but nonetheless I am always willing to accept others points of view...I don't have to talk to you and you certainly can stay out of my posts...Seriously...I won't mind one bit :) Nice try though!

I apologize for stepping in your cornflakes Sir...but I have as much right to post answers here to assist others as you do to apparenty attack others out of hand even if you aren't invited...So go blow it out your...HORN.

I wanted the individual who asked the question and the lady that challenged that statement... to see for themselves...why... I was making those statements and where to go to find out for themselves what I was explaining and then they could make their own decision as to my veracity.

Here's a link to explain veracity...just in case...ooh see...I offended you again...I apologize, can't seem to help it when I'm attacked...my intellect responds cerebrally without my permission.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/veracity

Find somebody else to dump your attitude on...personally...I'm not interested in tooting a horn, just helping out those who ask for help.

By the way...the P Designator for the laptop socket does NOT stand for performance...it stands for........Well... why don't you go and take a look at this:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebook-Processors.129.0.html

Since you seem to be in the know and believe I'm the problem, maybe you can take up an argument with the engineers as to what the "P" designator means according to you and I guess the "M" designator was for mobile and not Meron like Intel says it is either...a little factual knowledge helps everyone, unlike misinformed opinions that never help anyone.

I believe in helping others with less experience or knowledge...especially if they are ASKING for help...and I believe in providing them the links to see where the information came from...NOT everybody knows a Northbridge chipset and a Southbridge chipset exist.

That Lenovo laptop is a couple of generations back in design and capabilities and therefore absolutely requires that the FSB must match the chipset....per Intels own engineers statements, and since I used an absolute statement...I wanted them to be able to see the same information I was basing my statement on and that the information was factual...not my opinion.

Respectfully,

tekman42

Bobby Ketcham

P.S. Mr. captaincranky

I would request that you leave me alone and get out of my posts...I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone...I just want to help with those who ask for help...without drama or arguments...and provide the best facts I can find that will assist others in gaining more knowledge and experience.

They do not have to accept my answers and they can freely choose to ignore anything I post if they so desire.

Helping others...Isn't that we are supposed to be doing in these forums???

Respectfully,

tekman42

Bobby Ketcham

To captaincranky:

I think that your reply was a waste of this forums time and intent but nonetheless I am always willing to accept others points of view...I don't have to talk to you and you certainly can stay out of my posts...Seriously...I won't mind one bit :) Nice try though!

I apologize for stepping in your cornflakes Sir...but I have as much right to post answers here to assist others as you do to apparenty attack others out of hand even if you aren't invited...So go blow it out your...HORN.

I wanted the individual who asked the question and the lady that challenged that statement... to see for themselves...why... I was making those statements and where to go to find out for themselves what I was explaining and then they could make their own decision as to my veracity.

Here's a link to explain veracity...just in case...ooh see...I offended you again...I apologize, can't seem to help it when I'm attacked...my intellect responds cerebrally without my permission.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/veracity

Find somebody else to dump your attitude on...personally...I'm not interested in tooting a horn, just helping out those who ask for help.

By the way...the P Designator for the laptop socket does NOT stand for performance...it stands for........Well... why don't you go and take a look at this:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebook-Processors.129.0.html

Since you seem to be in the know and believe I'm the problem, maybe you can take up an argument with the engineers as to what the "P" designator means according to you and I guess the "M" designator was for mobile and not Meron like Intel says it is either...a little factual knowledge helps everyone, unlike misinformed opinions that never help anyone.

I believe in helping others with less experience or knowledge...especially if they are ASKING for help...and I believe in providing them the links to see where the information came from...NOT everybody knows a Northbridge chipset and a Southbridge chipset exist.

That Lenovo laptop is a couple of generations back in design and capabilities and therefore absolutely requires that the FSB must match the chipset....per Intels own engineers statements, and since I used an absolute statement...I wanted them to be able to see the same information I was basing my statement on and that the information was factual...not my opinion.

Respectfully,

tekman42

Bobby Ketcham
Well Bob, oh how I wish I cared what you stand for, what you believe in, or how much misinformation you care to share. I was referring to Intel's nomenclature for desktop boards, not some mobile socket CPU.

And to date, you haven't helped anybody, you've sprayed around random information indiscriminately, none of which had a whole lot to do with the topic. I get it, you know everything about computers. Yet sadly, I don't care.

Now, read my lips. The absolute FSB speed of the board and the FSB speed of the CPU can be different. It was quite common during the Intel 915 chipset era, Where Celerons and certain P-4 CPUs had a 533Mhz FSB, while other P-4s were 800Mhz. The boards would mostly accept either CPU.

The more important issue was, (and still is), BIOS and VRM compatibility.

So, for all the typing and lashing out you've done, and in opposition to your "manifest purpose", you really haven't, "helped the OP, just sought to tell us about your "background" and, "qualifications".

My first impression, is that your "college heydays", were tantamount to being something more on the order of, "a methamphetamine retreat".

Plus, everybody's pretty much in agreement that laptops are pretty much dead upgrade ends. As is the OP. The only mistake that anybody made, was bothering to post to this thread.
thanks for the help ! I decided I'm just not going to try and mess with this laptop and just use it for school and what not and get a desktop for just games. The laptop upgrades might generate too much heat, is what people have been telling me, but thanks for the quick reply !
It seems the OP's friends had already made up his mind, and we were merely a second opinion.

Who really cares about all that chipset s***, when heat is the primary consideration....:rolleyes:

I repeatedly stated that the speeds MUST be the same OR that the chipset supported the speed. However in LAPTOPS...this wasn't the case...the chipset and the cpu had to match for the lenovo to get a cpu upgrade...and the socket type Must match...socket P stands for the Penryn model cpus.

As to whether I have helped anybody else or not...that's once again an opinion and you are entitled.

As I asked before... could you please stay out of my posts and leave me alone...I'm not really interested in your comments or targeted attacks...you seem to feel the need to play bully...where's the moderators on this...personal attacks shouldn't be what this forum is about.

The individual I was responding to was asking about upgrading Laptops NOT desktop mobo's or anything else...we can ALL agree that the upgrade wasn't going to happen and yes...more heat would be forthcoming and that heat IS detrimental to the other components useful life cycle and increased opportunity for failures to occur.

Respectfully,

tekman42

Bobby Ketcham

Back