upgrading psu? cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hi,

Ok I have a Dell E310 2.80ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb harddrive, 128mb intel intergrated video shut off upgraded it to a 256mb pci nvidia geforce card and now when I play the sims 2 it wil freeze up some and sometimes using the comptuer i get blue screens but before thiswhen i used intergrated video al i did was ge blue screens like every 5 mintues. So now i'm wondering 1. my power supply is a 230w and the card calls for a 250w do you think I should upgrade it do you think thats what is causing problems? 2. I saw in other posts where video cards an get too hot becuase of cooling right now im using the stock heatsink and fan is there any cooling devices they make for the nvidia geforce fx oc 256 mb card also this card is overclocked I didnt overclock it i dont know how but it says overclocked on the box can that be causing the problem? Also is there anyway to tell the temp of video cards? Thanks very much everyone I dont have a clue whats wrong

Im Sure that the cause of this problem is the Power supply, 230W is Nothin, so change the Power supply and everythin should work just fine, and no its not cuz of ur GFX Card being to hot,

OK Thank you very much, I thought I was the power supply but heres the tihnk first off like 3 dell techs 1 online chat 2 on the phone both said yes this card will work with this power supply so the I called the company that makes it they said no so I took it into the loal shop twice now both times they told me its fine I dont need a bigger power supply and I claled dell and they told me if I upgrade my power supply anything over 230w as SOON as I turn it on it will begin to fry the motherboard becuase it cant handle the extra pressure. Is this ture? I dont now what to do its like im stuck

I'm going to second that, the power supply is too small for the power of that chip. When it doubt it's usually the Power supply I find:). Was this a machine you ordered through dell? Are you running any external USB or internal USB devices off it.?

Man dont believe that, they prolly tryin to give u any reason to make u get lost,
But still Just to make sure of that, when u go to a Computer store ask him to check ur system and Try A Better power supply, i dont think anythin will happen to ur Motherboard, cuz 230W Is wack

Yes i ordered it from dell.com and no it basicly use this comptuer for the sims 2 only I mostly use mt laptop for internet and all that and printing so no just mouse,keyboard, mointer, speakers, thats pretty much it

well I did go into the local comptuer store twice and they looked at it twice and charged me and said im fine I dont need a bigger power supply they wont do anything I told them I wanted to buy an Antec power supply from them and get them to install it you think they would for the money

Why the **** they do that? Just tell them i know its fine but i wanna change it, and believe me 230w is just wack,i got a 400w and i dont feel that im pleased yet Although i know its fine,

Ok Thank you very much I would change it myself but its BTX motherboard and case so its different and doesnt BTX motherboards take different power supplies not ATX ones so wouldnt I have to find a special power supply?

Ok I did some searchs for btx power supplies and newegg has 7 of them http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...it=ENE&Subcategory=58&Description=btx&Ntk=all and the tigerdirect only has one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1828915&sku=V133-6037 and I dont see any antec's so I guess they dont make btx poweruspplies does anyone know what is a good brand in the above links becuase thats all I see they make btx must be newer becuase they sure do have a ton in atx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back