Upgrading Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neji49

I'm a bit new to PC gaming and I'm about to upgrade my outdated computer with another one. All it needs a graphics card. I'm planning to buy a GeForce 8600. The power supply needed is 350 watts. My computer's power supply is 350 watts exactly. Will this be enough or do I need to get a new power supply? (If so can somebody show where t obuy a cheap one that will work?)

Could you post your additional system specs? The wattage ratings for graphics cards doesn't seem to take into account additional non-standard components that would place an "abnormal" strain on a PSU.
High-end gaming motherboards, the latest and greatest multi-core processors, Raptor hard drives, (or just having lots of hard drives) high quantities of RAM, etc. are all examples of factors that will contribute to the draw your system places on a PSU beyond the "normal" expectations.

In fact though, all of these are the things that MAKE a good gaming system.

Get back to us with more info, and don't trust anyone who just makes a PSU recommendation based solely on the graphics card you're getting. ;)

Okay, I have an intel core duo 2.13 ghz. Currently, I have 2 gb RAM, though I'm thinkging of upgrading it. It has a Maxtor 213 gb hard drive and another 213 gb hard drive(if the power strain isn't too much I'd like to add a SATA hard drive). The motherboard is a Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH. So will I be able to use the card?

It might work... Might.
Would I do it my own system? Hell no.
I'm really afraid that gaming would put too much strain on a system that's already teetering on the brink of not having enough power, and I can't honestly say that not buying a new PSU is advisable.

You sound like you're very upgrade minded, so I'd look for something starting in the 500W range, but anything over 650W is going to be excessive unless in the future you make major system configuration upgrades.

Shoot I was afraid of this. Oh well if I have to upgrade my power supply might as well take all that I can get. If I did upgrade to 500 watts, coudl I get a GeForce 9600GT to run on my system? What about an 880GT? If not how much power would I need for those?

A 9600/8800GT would use as much power as an 8600 would. A 500-600W PSU would suffice for all three cards. =] I was running two 8800GT in SLI with a Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM, on 650W.

If I were to uprgrade hard drives(to the SATA one so I woudl have 2), would a 500 wat PSU be sufficient enough with a 9600 or 8800?

what brand is your psu? if it's degree of efficiency is around 80% it should work.

a good psu delivers a fairly constant level of power under load. if it fluctuates during high load, your system will crash/reboot

davinci83 said:
what brand is your psu? if it's degree of efficiency is around 80% it should work.

a good psu delivers a fairly constant level of power under load. if it fluctuates during high load, your system will crash/reboot

Ummmmm..., I' m not realy sure. I could open it up and check. Where can I find which brands yield which effieciency ratios?

I guess what I'll end up doing is buy the 8600 and seeing if it works. If not I'll just buy a new supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back