Upgrading questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my computer for over SIX years. That's way too long, espically since we haven't upgraded anything, just renewed. I am in desperate need to upgrade my computer completely to fit my gaming needs; CoD, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3 (when it realeases) and much more. I will post my specs on my computer, I'm not too tech savy when it comes to figuring out which parts are compatible. I have come up with a list of parts that I have looked at, I could really use some verification. Or if someone knows of a really great gaming custom made computer that I could copy the specs from and order the parts, that would be cool too.

Tell me if any of the parts I want are not worth the money, or aren't even very good parts. If you can recommend me to a better part that would be great. I can use all the help I can get. Also, if any of the parts in my current computer are worth saving please tell me.

My computer Specs;

Processor- Intel Pentium 4, Socket 478 mPGA 3.00GHz, 199.5 MHz Bus Speed,

Mainboard - P4SD-VX AsusTek, i865p / PE/G/i848P chipset. American Megatrends BIOS 2005.

Memory - DDR, Dual 3072 MB

Graphics Card - Radeon 9800 PRO'

Please help, as you can see I'm running on a very old basically NOTHING computer. Ugh and it's so frustrating. I can't play any of the games I want without them crashing. It's also a Sony Vaio computer, if I need another case for a new motherboard that I get recommended please tell me.

If any other specs are needed I'm sure I can find them somewhere, just ask.
THANKS VERY MUCH. : )

I almost forgot to tell you about the parts I was looking at before.

Motherboard - Asus P5E Deluxe LGA 775 Intel x48 ATX Intel Motherboard. (164.99)

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Processor (199.99)

Memory - G.Skill 4GB 240-pin DDR2 1066. (64.99)

Hard Drive - N/A

Video Card - Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit AGP HDCP (89.99)

OS - Thinking of getting windows 7, :DDDD

If you could head me towards cheaper prices, and if you could tell me if any of these aren't compatible together it would be great.

Oh right, completely forgot about budget.

As far as budget goes, I don't want the costly BEST of the BEST. However, 2nd best, and a little lest costly would be my perfered spot. I'm not too worried about money however.

Hi whoes,
there is about 100 second best.... throw us a bone here :) is it $1000, $2000, ???

as far as budget goes, nothing past 1,200. which is probably a lot less the amount of how much I've paid for repairs and "upgrades" (Sony customer support sucks) for this computer.

I'm really liking the second post of parts you put up there Klepto. The only other problem I have now is the fact that i've never built a computer before. The most i've done myself is mess around with some basic stuff. Such as my graphics card, fans, and my RAM Doo-hicky things. I'm defiantly looking forward to learning how to build it, I'm not sure how difficult it could be though. I'm also a little worried on Windows 7. I have tons of experience on Windows XP which is what i'm running now, and also Mac OS, but Windows Vista and 7 I've had no experience on.

Any tips for a person building a new computer? Difficulty, Guide ect.

dude dont worry about windows 7 it is a lot like xp and you will get used to it fast make sure you buy the 64 bit edition of windows 7 so you can get the full use of your ram. there are tons of computer building guides on tech spot and all the guys here will help its not really that hard man :)

Woot! Thanks a ton guys :) I'm really looking forward to it now. Has Windows 7 been released yet? And how much do you suppose it will cost? 210?

windows 7 comes out next month on the 23rd i think and yeah it will be around $200 bucks just make sure you get the 64 bit edition and all will be good and np man thats why we are here :)

I concluded the total cost of my new computer will be around 1,100 dollars. Awesome, now I just need to start saving up and buy part by part. Thanks for all the help guys. : )

I second klepto's build (post #9), except for the PSU. I would recommend the Corsair 650TX, or the Antec Truepower New 750W instead. Better build quality and reliability, especially on the Corsair unit, which is among the best out there at the moment.

I also recommend spending a little more and getting this RAM kit and a full-tower ATX case like the Thermaltake Spedo Advanced, Cooler Master Stacker, and the Antec Twelve Hundred.

You could also save some cash and get this mobo instead if you are not planning on using CrossfireX anytime soon.

CrossfireX?

I have a new question for you guys, I listed all the specs on my current computer. While i'm in the process in building my new computer (just buying the parts) is there anyway I could buy a cheap Radeon HD video graphics card that could run my games without crashing on low settings? Well, I guess what I'm asking is if there are any other graphics cards that have a compatibility with my current system. Thanks : )

From your motherboard it looks like you have a Sony system. Am I correct? Also, I can't be sure, but you have an AGP 8x slot on the mobo. The HD3850 is the best AGP card out there IMO.

I second klepto's build (post #9), except for the PSU. I would recommend the Corsair 650TX, or the Antec Truepower New 750W instead. Better build quality and reliability, especially on the Corsair unit, which is among the best out there at the moment.

I also recommend spending a little more and getting this RAM kit and a full-tower ATX case like the Thermaltake Spedo Advanced, Cooler Master Stacker, and the Antec Twelve Hundred.

You could also save some cash and get this mobo instead if you are not planning on using CrossfireX anytime soon.

rage he said his budget was 1200 with the windows 7 included in the price so my build makes more since IMO but i do like the corsair 650 but that earth watt unit is 750 watt and will do the job just fine.

is it fairly cheap? and would it help my game go a lot more smoothely without crashing? because right now my games go from 3 minutes, to about an hour sometimes if i'm lucky and then crashes. and it's extremely frustrating.

The Corsair unit is in the same price range klepto. The Earthwatts has some high ripple (within ATX spec, but JUST within) and build quality is not up to the same level. The TruePower New 750W can be had for $20 more and is a better overall unit. Antec is simply competing against themselves here, so unless the EA750 is like $80, I don't recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back