TechSpot

Upgrading suggestions

By duh-huh-wha?
Dec 20, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok i want to upgrade my computer to handle all the new games coming out (HL2, doom3, etc.). now i am a pretty big gamer on a low performance computer. i just want to know what would best enhance my gaming fps and quality

Here are my specs:
    Emachine <--- :( model t2482
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0
    AM37 M.B.
    512 DDR ram pc2100
    Radeon 9600 pro 128 mb

i have about a 300$ cap
    i was bending towards a MB/processor upgrade but all the compatiblity and installation issues just gave me a headache
    i think the best and easiest course would to upgrade my ram and vid card but i dont know if it would make a large impact(since they seem relativlyup to date). basically i want to know if it is my processor, vid card, ram , etc. that is slowing me down if not all of it
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente TS Rookie Posts: 77

Just an idea...

I think that your processor is decent. Faster RAM always helps; see if your motherboard can handle PC3200. I would say a bare minimum of 512Mb of RAM. If you have money leftover, see how you can upgrade your video card (make sure its an AGP graphics card). Good luck! :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.