TechSpot

Upgrading to Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit OS

By Babtanian
Mar 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Due to a variety of issues with my new Dell XPS, it looks like I need to do a full re-install of Windows Vista Ultimate. Dell doesn't offer anything but the 32-Bit versions of Vista, but if I'm going to invest the time of a full backup, OS re-install, and software re-installs, I would like to upgrade to the 64-Bit version.

I had a Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz before purchasing the XPS and I would eventually like to install 8 GB RAM over the 4 GB I have now. Of course, I need the 64-Bit OS to do that. Dell XPS support has informed that my hardware is more than adequate for the 64-Bit version, but that there are not available drivers for my hardware to accomodate it.

I spent about 4K on the machine with the best of what they had to offer only a month ago. I figure that people are certainly running Windows Vista Ultimate in the 64-Bit version. Can anyone advise me what is needed to get this done on a new XPS 720 system?

Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.