TechSpot

Upgrading Video card help

By modibb
Jan 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking for a video card to upgrade too on my hp m8125x media center pc. The video card it came with was a Nvidia 7350LE. I'm looking for a fast/good video card for playing games at 1440 x 900. My PC has only 1 case fan (exhaust) and does not have any intake fans, so my case doesn't have good enough airflow to handle cards that give out a lot of heat (like the 8800 gt, which caused my CPU temperatures to rise alot). I have already upgraded the stock power supply to a 500 Watt Enermax Liberty. So what good video card would you recommend for me that won't increase my case/CPU temperatures?

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

What's your budget like? The 9600GT is a nice card that can be had in a dual-slot "flavor" for around $100. Just make sure it'll fit in your case. Here is a link to one.

3. modibb

modibb TS Rookie Topic Starter

my budget is $200 :D but im not sure if my case could handle the heat of the 9600 since my airflow sucks... can someone confirm this?

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

The 9600GT is a dual-slot card, so all the heat from the card will be exhausted out of the case, and the same is true for almost all dual-slot cards. For your budget, I recommend this card.

5. modibb

Thanks for your quick replies :) I probably might not get the HD 4850 since even though it had that new heat sink, it runs hot and i would have to run the cards fan at 100%, and since i leave my PC on overnight i would like to avoid that.... Do you know any nvidia cards that can run cool and quietly?

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

The maximum temp is 62C, which is fairly decent IMO for a dual-slot card. Also, why not just buy a cheap PCI slot cooling fan like one of these along with the card? It'd help case ventilation a lot IMO.

In any case, the other alternative to the HD 4850 is this card. Dual-slot cooler, 55nm and it should run somewhat cooler than the HD 4850.

7. modibb

I'll try one of them out. Thanks for your help

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.