Urgent help needed, motherboard or PSU dead?

Mister_K

Hey there, Hope I am posting this in the right forum ^^

So today I got my self two new 120mm fans, 140mm fan, cathodes but most of all a new case.

I took everything off and stripped my old case and put everything in new. Everything connected up and the Front Panel connectors connected as well. Here is where the problem lies.

I am not 100% sure if my front panel connectors are in the right places, I know which socket they go in but no Idea in what order (their polarity etc..). So once i connected them (possibly wrong way) I plug in the power and hit the Power button. The PC turns on and then INSTANTLY shuts of within fraction of a second.

I see the fans spin and light up but at the same time they all go off.

Now i tried nearlly every different way the front panel connectors could go, and still same problem as above.

Could this be a mobo issue? PSU issue? Am I totaly screwed? Or could it be the front panel connectors connected incorrently / faulty?

PS:

I tried to see if the problem persists with just 1 fan connected without any other hardware (no cpu, gpu, hdd's etc... etc...) and still same prob....

Really needed to get my PC ready and up for tomorrow as I got crap loads of college work to do :3 and this laptop I am using now is terrible, can't handle photoshop :X

Thanks in advance.

Did you remember to connect the 4 or 6 pin aux12v line to the motherboard near the CPU?

The MAIN is connected to the board (the 20pin). I connected the "CPU1" 4 pin to the 4 pin socket near the cpu, yet still problem persists.

My mobo is: M4N78-SE
PSU: 600W OCZ (should be on my profile).
Case: Casecom 6788

When power is on, the green light on the mobo is light up which I guess it means that it recieved power.

Here are few pictures (can make video and upload it on rapidshare or megaupload).

Direct link to Album
http://imageshack.us/g/683/imgp1819.jpg

Slideshow
http://img683.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=imgp1819.jpg

Unless you plugged the front panel connectors into completely wrong motherboard headers, I doubt the problem is due to them. Polarity doesn't matter to the power and reset buttons and if the polarity is wrong for the LED connectors, the LEDs should simply not work. That said, why not remove all of them except for the power switch and see.

It appears to me you are using an 20 pin to 24 pin adapter. If so, why? The OCZ should have a 24 pin or 20 + 4 pin connector on its own.

In changing over to the new case, did you use motherboard standoffs between the motherboard and the new case?

Why do you need the adapter on the main ATX connection to the motherboard? The only front panel connections that have a polarity concern are the HDD LED and the POWER LED, all others have no polarity needs. You only need the front panel POWER SWITCH to be connected to start the computer. Remember it has NO polarity concerns...
Sorry Mailpup you beat me

Unless you plugged the front panel connectors into completely wrong motherboard headers, I doubt the problem is due to them. Polarity doesn't matter to the power and reset buttons and if the polarity is wrong for the LED connectors, the LEDs should simply not work. That said, why not remove all of them except for the power switch and see.

It appears to me you are using an 20 pin to 24 pin adapter. If so, why? The OCZ should have a 24 pin or 20 + 4 pin connector on its own.

In changing over to the new case, did you use motherboard standoffs between the motherboard and the new case?

Thanks for replies so far :))

/facedesk I sure was using the 20>24 pin adapter for the MAIN. I took it off and hooked it how it supouse to be fitted on.

Tried again but the fans etc... start up and half a second later it all shuts of again (yet the green light remains).

Also I didn't use any of the standoffs that came with the case, I just screwed the mobo to the case with normal screws, like my old one.

Unless your new case has "built-in" standoffs (convex dimples on the motherboard tray), you are shorting the motherboard to the case if you don't use standoffs. Your description of the symptoms is consistent with this shorting. If the case came with standoffs, they are supposed to be used.

Unless your new case has "built-in" standoffs (convex dimples on the motherboard tray), you are shorting the motherboard to the case if you don't use standoffs. Your description of the symptoms is consistent with this shorting. If the case came with standoffs, they are supposed to be used.

Alright, will fit them on now, I pray to God it will make it work :p Thanks again, sorry for being such a newb, first time putting a PC back together :X Its fun just hectic when problem occurs ^^

Alright, will fit them on now, I pray to God it will make it work :p Thanks again, sorry for being such a newb, first time putting a PC back together :X Its fun just hectic when problem occurs ^^

Also this is how I am connecting "Power SW"

The blue is the blue cable on the Power SW and the grey is white. The black dots are the little spike things (what ever they called) on the mobo.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/fpanelcontrolconnectors.jpg

It keeps asking me to log-in when trying to look at your pictures... If the power switch was connected incorrectly, no fans or any activity would be noticed. The green LED on the motherboard only means that the +5volts is present

It keeps asking me to log-in when trying to look at your pictures... If the power switch was connected incorrectly, no fans or any activity would be noticed. The green LED on the motherboard only means that the +5volts is present

Aight fitted the standoffs and guess what? IT WORKED! <3 Guess the board was touching the metal ^^

Also the front panel connectors were connected the first time correctly, i was simple issue of the standoffs offs not being fitted on ^^

Thanks guys, much love, I am a happy panda now lol :p Now time to put everything back together lol... damn how I hate fitting on the aftermaker CPU cooler..... Pain in the butt ....

Thanks again. <3

Back