Urgent! help with programs on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcylouise93

So I did system recovery which was the BIGGEST mistake of my life! when I was supposed to do system restore. OK!...I got confused between the two because im hopeless with computers and all that stuff.... but anyway all my programs a stuffed up! My mum really needs microsoft office (it has microsoft word on it etc etc). It has the microsoft word icon on my desktop but everytime I double click it its says:

"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

When I put the disk in for microsoft office 2000 so I can install it again, the installation bar gets about half way on the first disk then stops and says:

"Error 1305. Error reading from file:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAPI>DLL. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

It also says something similar when I try to install my printer software. On yahoo answers someone suggested going to my computer...c drive...program files....then deleting the microsoft office file. But that didnt work!

It also is not on add or remove programs and I have gone to the add/remove windows componants.

I have downloaded a recover file software but microsoft office hasnt come up on the list.

I am on windows XP

PLEASE PLEASE help me! You will be my savior!

Also since im pretty dumb with computers i need step by step instructions.

Much appreciated in advance :D

ps. it wasnt the biggest mistake in my life but you get my drift lol

hmm

actually ive just had a look for it on my system at work and cant find the installation directory lol
it could be just me being blind or stupid.

I suggest if the need for office is urgent then go here and download
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

open office is a free suite of utilities that is comparable to MS Office
it can handle most if not all of MS Office exstentions

This should hopefully tide you over until more people can reply with help.

I'll also have a look into it as well :)

good luck

hey Darcylouise93

Try this.... click Start > Run > .... then type "ChkDsk" in the space (without the quotation marks) and press Ok....

There might also be some errors in Windows itself from the first restore that you did.... if you have an XP cd do this..... put the CD in and Restart your computer.... at the bottom of the screen it will prompt you to boot from the CD.... press any key .... then let the CD load - it will go through a series of tests that might take a few minutes..... It will then give you and Option to REPAIR Windows by pressing "R" ... choose this option..... let it fix any files that are corrupt (if they are) and then when its done restart your computer and try to install MS Office again....

The Repair tool is completely safe and if your computer doesn't need any fixing, it will do nothing.

Hope this helps

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back