TechSpot

urgent, system problem

By PoPKoRn
Jun 11, 2007
  1. hey,i bought a new computer and when i turn it on it says:
    disk boot failure,insert system disk and press enter
    now i tried to insert an original windows xp disk to the cd rom drive but the same problem occoured.
    i think the problem is with the hard disk,what should i do?
    thanks..

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Since you are asking the question.. Are you sure that you are qualified/experienced enough to install an operating system? You should get some help :)

As for the error message, either the CD is not bootable or you have to tell the computer to boot from the CD either in the BIOS setup or via a boot menu.

If you don't understand any of the above, find someone who does :p

3. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

its a new computer but it lacked any software?
    Did you build it yourself? If so, check your hdd cables.
    If you bought it pre-built (and legit), then the system builder by law should 'prove' the pc by installing an operating system on it.
    Either way, check the ide/Sata/power cables on the hdd and on the ide/sata controller on the mobo. Oh, and as Nodsu said, check the boot strap in the bios.

4. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 228

As k.jacko implied, you should immediately take the PC back to the store that you bought it from and have them boot it up and/or fix it. I would recommend doing that first to avoid them claiming any warranty issues with you fooling around with internal cables, etc.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.