US consumers spent $4.5 billion on gaming in second quarter

By Shawn Knight
Oct 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. US consumers spent $4.5 billion on video game hardware, downloadable content and accessories during the second quarter of 2011. The figure represents a 1 percent gain from the same timeā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. SammyJames

SammyJames TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 168

Well -- at least now we know what IS keeping our economy from utter ruin.

(No -- really -- I'm being 100% serious. I'm not being even a LITTLE bit sarcastic. NO REALLY -- I'm being totally, 100%, authentically serious here!!!)

Really.

No -- REALLY.

(I'm not kidding -- I have discussed this with a good friend of mine. He pointed out how the middle class in the U.S., which is responsible for keeping the PC alive for the better part of 40 years, has consistently bought both hardware and software for home use. This is our last, final, saving grace. Gamers do a lot of things that many people find to be useless or downright objectionable -- but the one thing that we DO do is we keep the economy going.)

Tell that to your mom or dad when they complain about how "much time [you] spend in front of that [expletive-deleted] screen playing those stupid games..."
  3. I would just tell them i'm fighting Chinese farmers, and they would actually ask me how it went.

This was back during Lineage 2 days.

I miss those days...
  4. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

They got my money, it's because of Steam deals!
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

And 3 billion of that is from me with those damn Steam sales. :(
  6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

...and then I would remind my son or daughter that 4.5 billion does not even rise to the threshold of 'negligible' as far as the economy goes. The impact of not knowing what that big shiny orb in the sky is, has a much bigger relative impact. Nice try though sammy. :)
  7. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

What is this red orb you speak of, i cant see it from the basement :)
  8. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TechSpot Member Posts: 90   +28

@ aj_the_kidd: He never mentioned any "red" orb, just that it's big & shiny. You sir, can give over your geek card.
  9. Me being the pirate I am . .i spent lots of money on steam sales!

arrrhhhggg!!!
  10. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

agree ! totally ...

& we are the fuel that keeps that bonfire burning eternally ...

cheers!
  11. SammyJames

SammyJames TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 168

Hmm... it appears as though I was off somewhat. I said something about the PC as being the savior of our economy. Apparently, it is Steam that is truly the responsible party here.

Go Steam!

12. thewind

thewind Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

Steam the only thing keeping our economy afloat! (besides Steve Jobs!) But he's gone (sad) so now we gota rely on Steam for all our money. You hear that Europe, China, Asia ect. Open your wallet and start buying games!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.