US files paperwork for extradition of MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The United States has filed the necessary paperwork to facilitate the extradition of MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom and three associates. The papers were filed with the North Shore District Court in Auckland, New Zealand but aren’t being released at this time, according to a report from PC World.

US authorities are seeking Dotcom on charges of conspiring to commit racketeering and copyright infringement. Dotcom, who moonlighted as the world’s top Modern Warfare 3 player, was arrested along with three others on January 19 as part of a joint effort between the United States and New Zealand.

The MegaUpload owner was released on bail on February 22 pursuant to multiple stipulations including being barred from using the Internet and submitting to house arrest with electronic monitoring. His pregnant wife Mona Dotcom and their three children are allowed to stay with him at his mansion near Auckland.

The High Court of New Zealand, Auckland Registry decided last week that Dotcom could remain free on bail while awaiting the extradition hearing. A judge overseeing the matter felt that Dotcom wasn’t a serious enough flight risk to warrant another six months of incarceration. Furthermore, the counsel voiced their opinion stating that if Dotcom were to remain behind bars, he wouldn’t be able to properly prepare for the hearing and instruct those representing him.

In addition to Dotcom, authorities in the US are seeking the extradition of Finn Batato, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk who were all senior members at MegaUpload before being shut down.

Photo from the Associated Press.

Permalink to story.

I say Kim Dotcam should appeal the extradition on the grounds that he would not receive a fair trial.

While people die of starvation and disease, we use global resources to ensure everyone pays exorbitant amounts to be entertained, or be jailed for refusing to be ripped off continuously. Piracy exists to the extent that it does because of our crippled distribution system. As it's been said before, it's a service problem, not the consumers. We are the customers, and if businesses are unwilling to cater to our needs then they don't deserve to be paid. By putting these people in jail we are encouraging organizations like the RIAA/MPAA to do exactly what they have for years... absolutely nothing of value.

I would happily pay for a streaming service if there was one that was actually good. I paid for Netflix, it was great but not enough content, which in turn forced me to pay for a file sharing service to be able to watch the shows I want to watch..

Extraditing someone from another country is a long and drawn out process. Most Govt wont do it unless there is a major crime involved. So the fact that the US is trying to get him extradited speaks volumes on what this man has done. Do you really think they are going to have him shipped to the US because of some petty ante BS? He had to do something incredibly illegal for the US Govt to be putting this much work into it.

@Tygerstrike: Why comment if you're not going to read about it and just make assumptions? Chumped up charges that alone wouldn't be incriminating but stringed together almost creates a case... we'll see what happens.

I guess watching your neighbors fight is not enough or public TV you got to buy cable too. All this crap on the internet is worthless. So much trash on there and people just want to pay for it. Internet is treated by the government like drug sales. Only doctors allowed to sell drugs. Same thing with content only the IRA should sell content. You need to by permit ion to sell. Any one familiar with this practice. This is mafia mentality. You need to pay for permission to sell.

Who the f... do the Americans think they are! They have absolutely NO right to prosecute people that are not American or live in their dreadful country. It's like Assad being tried with treason - He's not even American! For goodness sake how do we rid ourselves of this Empire that can't win wars and blames everyone else for not having their values?

TomSEA said:
Jabba the Hutt?

I'm sorry I said you played Farmville. I had no idea that it would make you lash out at over-weight people.

... and you called my comments childish? LMAO

Guest said:
"Who the f... do the Americans think they are! They have absolutely NO right to prosecute people that are not American or live in their dreadful country."

By what you are saying, I should then be able to commit a crime in your country and be free from persecution?

This whole copyright issue is crap, I agree. When you blame the people of a country for the mistakes of it's government, you show your ignorance.

@Darkshadoe: He did not commit any crime IN America. But the US thinks they own the world, so no surprise they police the internet the same way. I'm sure there as A LOT of pressure from America but New Zealand is also to blame for bending over and letting America do what they will. Rarely good things come from letting America have their way.

Guest said:
@Darkshadoe: He did not commit any crime IN America. But the US thinks they own the world, so no surprise they police the internet the same way. I'm sure there as A LOT of pressure from America but New Zealand is also to blame for bending over and letting America do what they will. Rarely good things come from letting America have their way.

It may not seem like it, but I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I just take offense at the generalization that just because The U.S. government has an agenda, you think all of it's citizens have the same agenda. Not all Germans in the 40's were Nazis.

thats amazing, imagine ur country selling u to the usa ....its the kind of government u want for the next years? well, New Zealandersm next elections u know what to do !!!!

If the American jury thinks Mr Dotcom's likely sentence is excessive, it can acquit him regardless of the "law" and the facts, and the acquittal is binding. It's called "jury nullification". But the jurors won't be told this in court. They'll need to hear about it from elsewhere. Spread the word!

Back