US immigration enforcement used an AI-powered tool to scan social media posts "derogatory"...

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: The rule about being careful what you put on social media appears to be especially relevant for anyone entering the US. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has used an AI-powered tool to scan through social platforms to identify any visa applicants' posts that are "derogatory" to the US.

The system, called Giant Oak Search Technology (GOST), ranks a person's social media scores from one to 100 based on what it thinks is relevant to the user's specific mission. The database is searchable using identifiers such as a person's name, address, email address, and country of citizenship.

After clicking on a specific individual, analysts can review images collected from the subject's social media accounts and elsewhere, and give them a thumbs up or thumbs down rating. It's also possible for the analysts to look at the person's social media profiles, and their "social graph," themselves to see any potential connections with others.

404 Media reports that a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit brought by both the ACLU and the ACLU of Northern California showed GOST has been used by immigration services and multiple government agencies since 2014. ICE has paid Giant Oak Inc. more than $10 million since 2017, according to public procurement records.

GOST was part of a 2016 pilot called the HSI [Homeland Security Investigations] PATRIOT Social Media Pilot Program that targeted potential overstay violators from countries of concern.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the State Department, the Air Force, and the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, which is part of the US Treasury, have all paid for Giant Oak services over the last nearly ten years.

The GOST website states that it leverages information on the open and deep web and applies search parameters focused on behavioral patterns rather than identity labels.

"The government should not be using algorithms to scrutinize our social media posts and decide which of us is 'risky.' And agencies certainly shouldn't be buying this kind of black box technology in secret without any accountability," said Patrick Toomey, Deputy Director of the ACLU's National Security Project. "DHS needs to explain to the public how its systems determine whether someone is a 'risk' or not, and what happens to the people whose online posts are flagged by its algorithms."

The records state that the contract between the DHS and Giant Oak ended in August 2022.

Back in 2019, the Trump administration brought in new rules first proposed in March 2018 in which visa applicants must hand over details of any social media channels they have used in the past 5 years. The State Department and the Department of Homeland Security can hold onto this information indefinitely, share it with other federal agencies, and disclose it - in some circumstances, to foreign governments.

2019 was the same year that a Harvard student was denied entry to the US because of his friends' social media activity.

Permalink to story.

Oh, so NOW the ACLU is in favor of free speech and a lack of government censorship and control. Fascinating. I seem to remember, about 2-3 years ago, they have a very different opinion on this, especially if one was speaking against the message.
And the best part is that the constitution doesn't apply if you're not a citizen or are not (legally) living in the US, meaning no 1st amendment rights lol

Oh, so NOW the ACLU is in favor of free speech and a lack of government censorship and control. Fascinating. I seem to remember, about 2-3 years ago, they have a very different opinion on this, especially if one was speaking against the message.

You got so many falsehoods in your post, you can easily get a free Faux Noise outlet of your own!!

ACLU was ALWAYS for free speech and against government censorship, unlike your Orange Faced hero.

So everyone missed the point that the US has a social status score in the US and those applying to travel to America just like China.

On behalf of those not in America. We don’t really like you America, you have money, you flaunt weapons and you think everyone should follow you. Just like china.

Stick that in your spy engine.

I don't see how the first amendment, which protects the right of the US citizens to be free of government censorship, has anything to do with considering the social media posts of applicants wishing to immigrate to the US. The applicants are not citizens, were not prevented from saying whatever they wanted, and do not face any criminal charges from the US government. (I do agree that automation and/or AI come with limitations and risks that must be responsibly mitigated, and there needs to be transparency around what factors are being considered.)

I'm someone who believes the vast majority of immigrants to the US are part of a win-win equation: good for them, and good for the U.S. But if this process can help better spot the tiny fraction that are coming on behalf of a cartel or gang, or to spread violence, or to escape charges and/or a criminal record, or with hostile intent vs. one of building a better life for themselves and their family, let them stay home.

Nothing will happen and it will be business as usual. Even if something does happen it will be in the interest of National Security.

DONT GO use these dangerous sites. they are infected with ads and hackers. as a warrning. I have benn hacked 2x imes. fb are just a tool to collect a q pido last day on earth. I m a terrorist too. ehhh noooot. jus se when it will take this little writing and police will arrive whit their bulletproof and gasmask and mp5. see yeah in prison again.

In my pass it stands this person are a terroist. cant travel outside scandinavia. pst ru ended my life. cant travel to U s a. im not welcome.

Back