US Marshals accidentally leak potential Silk Road Bitcoin auction bidders

Shawn Knight

Staff member

marshals bitcoin auction silk road us marshals bidders bitcoin auction

The US Marshals announced plans to auction off nearly 30,000 Bitcoins confiscated from online drug marketplace Silk Road a week ago. The process, expected to attract high-profile investors and other big names in the Bitcoin community, was to take place anonymous. The key word here, of course, being “was.”

Unfortunately for some potential bidders, the US Marshals are human just like the rest of us. The agency recently sent an e-mail to interested bidders in an attempt to answer some common questions but there was one fatal flaw – they accidentally sent the message as a carbon copy instead of a blind carbon copy.

The latter, as you may very well know, would have masked the e-mail addresses of each recipient from all others. Instead, each recipient was able to see the full mailing list which consisted of more than a dozen people.

In a statement on the matter, US Marshals spokesperson Lynzey Donahue said the message was not intended for any particular group of people but for anyone who had e-mailed a question to the general mailbox to ask about the auction. She apologized for the mistake which was in no way intentional.

It’s worth pointing out that only the e-mail addresses of interested parties were disclosed, not actual names. But as CoinDesk highlights, it wasn’t exactly difficult to track down each recipient based on the e-mail addresses. The site also posted the uncensored list for anyone interested in checking it out.

Permalink to story.

I don't see what difference it makes either way. So what if we know who is bidding. We either want the item or not, and we either have the funds for bidding or not. I'm sure everyone has enough good sense to stop bidding, if the value gets to high for them.

I don't see what difference it makes either way. So what if we know who is bidding. We either want the item or not, and we either have the funds for bidding or not. I'm sure everyone has enough good sense to stop bidding, if the value gets to high for them.
That's a lot of moolah we are talking about here and you know there are a lot of cranks in the world who will stop at nothing to get their thieving, dishonest paws on it so if I were bidding, I wouldn't want the entire world to know who I am, where I stayed, the size of my skivvies etc. The US marshals slipped up big time and all they've done is offer an apology.

there are a lot of cranks in the world who will stop at nothing to get their thieving, dishonest paws
So that is how we are labeling all the potentials that are asking questions about the bids? I for one don't see any grounds for labeling from a mere list. After all they are purchasing from US Marshals. If they were truly worried they wouldn't be purchasing (or even asking questions) from an authority figure.

That's a lot of moolah we are talking about here and you know there are a lot of cranks in the world who will stop at nothing to get their thieving, dishonest paws on it so if I were bidding, I wouldn't want the entire world to know who I am, where I stayed, the size of my skivvies etc. The US marshals slipped up big time and all they've done is offer an apology.

What else do you want them to do? They can't turn back time. **** happens - move on.

Also, it doesn't matter - as the article states, this was addressed to anyone who had simply asked a question about the bidding process. It does not indicate an intent to bid or anything more than a just-above-fleeting interest in the process. Besides, once the transaction happens it will be public record anyway via the chain. Many have already figured out identities, etc. just by following that (just like the FBI did to arrest silk-road admins/users to begin with).

there are a lot of cranks in the world who will stop at nothing to get their thieving, dishonest paws
So that is how we are labeling all the potentials that are asking questions about the bids? I for one don't see any grounds for labeling from a mere list. After all they are purchasing from US Marshals. If they were truly worried they wouldn't be purchasing (or even asking questions) from an authority figure.
Apparently you're misunderstanding the point. Obviously, at least one bidder was indiscreet enough to leak the list to a website, which published it. Now it's available to any criminal with internet access who might like to target a list of people wealthy enough to bid on this treasure.

Why is it hard to find a job when the Government has such incompetent employees? Just sack anyone who makes such a huge f^ckup and employee one of the smart, talented jobless people.

Apparently you're misunderstanding the point. Obviously, at least one bidder was indiscreet enough to leak the list to a website, which published it. Now it's available to any criminal with internet access who might like to target a list of people wealthy enough to bid on this treasure.
Probably. There's a lot of points I misunderstand. I can't help it. it's in my genes. :)

Do any of the people, (who feel as I do), that bitcoins are worthless, see the irony of the FBI auctioning them off?

Like say, "throwing bad money after good".....:D

Back