TechSpot

US Marshals claim one bidder won every Bitcoin in recent Silk Road auction

By Shawn Knight
Jul 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The US Marshals' auction of the nearly 30,000 Bitcoins seized from underground drug marketplace Silk Road is now complete. Officials say a single, undisclosed bidder outbid everyone else and won the 10 individual auctions, taking home the entire lot of Bitcoins.

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,188   +244

I'm wondering if this individual actually turned a profit and how much....

3. Is there even logical reason to do this? Were there maximum bid? Why would somebody pay more for coin that the value it has at that moment?

4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

That's like selling an active currency from an auction, makes an absolute zero sense. What is going on?

cliffordcooley and wastedkill like this.
  5. @VitalyT normal currency doesn't swing 20-50% points. I would not classify Bitcoin as currency yet.

6. wastedkill

Probably in the hope bitcoins go back up to $1000 per 1 or beyond that...

7. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 221   +62

And they probably will. Newegg and 1-800-flowers both just started accepting bitcoin this week. BTC is at almost $650 now, that's up $100 in less than a month.

8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,417   +116

When you have control over the biggest part of the pie, you are able to change the rules on how the market behaves up to a certain point.

If that adds to a previous owned ammount, it could sum up really fast.

9. wastedkill

I have 30 LTC so hoping they go back up to $50!

10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 946   +22

He hacked it, like I did with radio station contests in the 70s when hacking was legal. The radio station would tell you to be the 15th caller at 591-7240. I'd call the phantom number 236-7240 and bypass 99 percent of the callers. This was called mass calling, to not tie up individual central offices with a flood of calls. Phantom numbers still exist, but they start with 1 or 0 so you can't dial them, but operators and blue boxes users, like wozniak, can. Now that I showed you this, tell me how to hack the illinois lottery. It's online. I'll be your lawyer. Can get you off of anything, but if I told you it would make you homeless.

11. TheLastPanda

TheLastPanda TS Member Posts: 62   +9

Its very hard to get your hands on such a large number of bitcoins and when dealing with that much money, paying through the FBI is much more secure than using some notoriously seedy BTC trading sites.

12. That's about $20 million worth of bitcoin. Bid $19 million, then sell it, make $1 million.

Simply insane. Kill us all.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.