TechSpot

US regulators discuss reliability, safety of self-driving cars

By Jos
Oct 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Self driving cars are moving closer to reality as a research initiative to determine the safety and reliability of the technology prepares to launch in the US.

Read more

2. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

One of the complications will be the shift of blame from the individual to the technology (and company creating it) when it comes down to 'errors' (ie. human injury and/or death). The other complication involves a paradigm shift in the way we think and approve of such technologies.

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 984   +89

Question is: am I ready to let me car do the driving for me?

Timonius likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,260   +1,551

Question is: am I ready for a hacker to crash my car for me?

Timonius likes this.
  5. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

Exactly.

Gives new meaning to the term 'wardriving'? :p

6. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

If every car had a synced gps this would be cake, they already have robots that use depth perception, I always though we should put magnets under the roads and have hover cars, maybe in the year 3000 lol

7. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

Inb4 auto theft becomes 100% easier.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,260   +1,551

I'm pretty sure a physical device (such as a key or local transmitter) would still be required to activate automated features.

9. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

I meant in terms of hacking the vehicle and activating it from a distance. It was ever so slightly in jest

10. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

Can't be worse than some of these *****s they seem happy to give licenses to...

11. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

Ill stick with driving myself.

12. Self-driving cars? we already know that concept since long ago, we just sit in the back and tell where we'd want to go.. and it's called taxi or cab

13. I can see this happening now. They'll let the concept dwell a little until people give in to the idea. Once self-driving cars are common enough it will be like windows. Hackers everywhere. You know someone is rich? Awesome! Just execute code, crash their car, steal their money and nothing blows up. Your going to the bank? Me too but I'll let you do the driving and I'll just wait until you have they money.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.