US Robotics 56K modem trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_Target

I just reformated my hard drive & reinstalled WIN98 & now my US Robotics 56k modem cannot install properly....

Before reformat I took note that device manager listed the modem as US Robotics 56k Win INT....

I was not able to locate the driver disk for the modem so I D/L a driver to floppy but on reinstall the hardware wizard stated that this driver was not written for this device...

I went to www.usr.com & was able to get the FCC Code & Product code off modem to determine that I had an OEM 2975 card so I D/L those drivers & still got the same results....

D/L a miu.exe self-extracting installer from USR that was supposed to tell me what product ID & model I had, however, on running this the program stated that there was no modem detected on system, so I ran it on another PC & it detect the modem but detect that it was not a US Robotics modem (which was correct), so the program seems to work....

BOTTOMLINE: any idea why windows detect a PCI communications device, cannot install any drivers, & this MIU program does not detect any modem on system???

any help appreciated!!!

You may have to install COM3 and COM4 first so your modem can find an outlet. Go to Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove New Hardware to do that. Then reboot.

Just to make sure that I follow you....

In Add New Hardware Wizard I will display a list, select port, then I should have an option for COM port???

or will I have option for COM3, COM4???

I'm at work right now but will try when I get home...Thanks

You go in the Add new HW wizard, Install a new device, pick "No, I want to select from a list", then select "Ports (COM + Lpt)".
Windows will automatically add the next free numbers (in your case 3 and 4 when you do this twice).
I run W2K and don't remeber exactly what it said in W98, but this should get you there.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to try anything yesterday but will attempt your advise....

What do you think about disabling COM2 in the bios???

Found that searching online

If you disable COM2 in the BIOS, it will still show up in W98, but is no longer functional. At the same time you block the possibility for COM4 as they use the same interrupt. The same goes for COM1/COM3.
What COM-port is your modem configured for?

Anyway, try what I said before and see if that goes. If you still want to disable anything, we can discuss that afterwards once your modem is up and running.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
If you disable COM2 in the BIOS, it will still show up in W98, but is no longer functional. At the same time you block the possibility for COM4 as they use the same interrupt. The same goes for COM1/COM3.
What COM-port is your modem configured for?

Anyway, try what I said before and see if that goes. If you still want to disable anything, we can discuss that afterwards once your modem is up and running.

REALBLACKSTUFF;

GREAT WORK! TURNED OUT MY COM2 WAS DISABLED IN BIOS...
AS SOON AS I SET IT TO AUTO, I SUDDENLY HAD COM2, 3, 4 & THE MODEM INSTALLED ON COM3 & IS WORKING FINE...

THANKS A MILLION...thought I had COM2 enabled...guess not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back