USB 2.0 Problem/Issue, is it the driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello There,
I have realised that my USB ports are not transferring as USB 2.0 and it says to install serice pack 1 for the USB 2.0 driver to be installed. The thing is i have Windows XP service pack 1 and 2, so i dont know what the problem is.
When i go to the Device Manager, i go to Other Devices, i see 'Other PCI Bridge Device' and 'Universal Serial Bus (USB)Controller', both having an exclamation mark at their icons.
I checked in the bios settings, and i have:
USB controller [Enabled]
USB2.0 controller [Enabled]
USB legacy support [Enabled]
Is this what i should have, im not sure whether i need 'USB controller' enabled, but i better not do something which i have no idea what it will do.
[Im using an ASUS A8NSLI-Deluxe Motherboard]
Is anyone able to help?

i got my asus a8n motherboard with the cd for lots of stuff. it had the drivers on for the usb 2.0 ports on the cd.. i suggest installing these first.. ;)

pkroks said:
i got my asus a8n motherboard with the cd for lots of stuff. it had the drivers on for the usb 2.0 ports on the cd.. i suggest installing these first.. ;)

Yeah with the cd, i put it in and select USB2.0 drivers and it says you do not need to install this as you have already got it in Service pack 1, and when i go to explore the cd i only find 2 text documents in the USB driver area. And yes i have show hidden items enabled.
Is it possible that i need to disable any of the BIOS settings which i have shown in my original post?

go to device manager and right click the unknown devices and click update driver. let windows do its thing.

otherwise uninstall the unknown devices fromd device manager and reboot.

I had this same thing happen and this fixed the problem.

Hope it helps

Hello

urbandragon said:
go to device manager and right click the unknown devices and click update driver. let windows do its thing.

otherwise uninstall the unknown devices fromd device manager and reboot.

I had this same thing happen and this fixed the problem.

Hope it helps
I agree.
Also while you are there, look for
"usb enhanced host controller" this is the usb 2.0.
If urbandragon's suggestion doesn't cure it, then consider reinstalling
XP SP2.
G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back