USB 2GB detected but showing 0 bytes

rajasharma

I have 2gb pen drive which i had some data.basically all business related things.

When i m inserting it's showing as removable (E)

File system : RAW

Used space : 0 bytes

Free space : 0 bytes

But when i m going into Disk management it is showing as

Disk 1
removable (E)
243 MB

243 mb
Unallocated in a box

Can i recover my data back or is it useable anymore?

and a good explanation why it has happened will be handy!

File system : RAW

Means Windows no longer recognizes a valid partition on the flash drive. Meaning it somehow got corrupted so Windows can't detect a valid filesystem
> Did you remove the flash drive without bothering to use the Safely Remove Hardware Icon?? (lots of people don't bother to STOP the device before removing it. Either using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon OR shutting down Windows. This is the price you can pay! if you don't stop a drive before removing it)
> Or flash drive failure
> Or other possible

Many have had good luck with TestDisk. But, of course, that depends on what caused the failure and of course it doesn't work for every case

@casterbal: naa not working says scanning (Master boot record) and 8 seconds its completed!!

@lookinaround: y u removed the posts it was gud it would have really be helpful for others to read that their removable drives can get messed up if they take out without safely removing hardware!!

GUYS finally found the solution.

How To Recover The data
First used Icare data recovery software as it can scan raw partition that windows is not able recognize or any other data recovery software.
and recover the data almost everything.

How to format the USB

First you need to have the windows cd.insert the windows cd and go let the windows cd do setting up some files and when it finishes go through normal process of installing the windows choose option Install fresh copy of windows
and make sure u have inserted your usb.

then it will list the usb also as hard drive.
and select that drive and delete the partition make sure u select the usb drive not any other drive.Bcoz then all data will be deleted.you will know by size.which one is your usb drive.

and now Quit the windows setup.and restart your computer install any other partition manager like i did mini partition tool. google it and you will find many partition managers.

After installing partition manager you go into control panel and at left hand side select swtich to classic veiw and then go into
Administrative tools
Computer management
disk management
and find your usb and fromat it.

It should work probably.

WARNING:YOUR ADVISED TO BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA FROM ALL DRIVES BEFORE TRYING THIS.

one other way of doing this is right here, if your usb filesystem is RAW, the only way you can bring it back to use is by formatting it, it may be impossible when using the usual formatting method where you right-click and select format.
now open command line and type format followed by the drive letter of the usb. if it still a problem, then switch to another operating system. Windows 7 or linux for instance and format your usb.

to recover your data is another case, there are a couple sofwares that may be used, try spotmau software, it can help you to unformat your usb or use recuva, this software comes as a free package in winxp sp3 red eddition.

Back