USB 3.0 64GB Flash Drive Round-up

Am i the only one not impressed by USB 3.0 flash drive and external hdd performance? these are ATA100 speeds. And how many computers with USB 3.0 are you even gonna use this on other than your own?

Even setting the performance issue aside, there is still the question of cost per megabyte. Just doesn't make sense that you can pick up a Samsung 470 64GB SSD for $129.99 but will have to shell out $199.99 for the 64GB Patriot Supersonic.

Well, I am not so impressed either you know... I mean, just look at how massive a difference it was from USB 1.0 to 2.0. But I must say what really bothers me is the write speeds since reads are just fine, and again I dont think I could justify buying a 64 gig pen drive for that price just because of USB 3.0.

Most of you wont see the price justified, and why would you. These drives cost 20% of an enthusiast pc build. Great review. I need a thumbdrive for work and school. Again, these are for a very small sector.

jurassic4096 said:
Am i the only one not impressed by USB 3.0 flash drive and external hdd performance? these are ATA100 speeds. And how many computers with USB 3.0 are you even gonna use this on other than your own?

Well, I am not so impressed either you know... I mean, just look at how massive a difference it was from USB 1.0 to 2.0.

It's not USB 3.0's fault. In a nutshell, the race track has been built, but all the cars in the race can still only go 85MPH...

This is a matter of manufacturers finally getting flash memory & external drives that can actually store/read information faster than ~110MB/sec... at a reasonable price.

I'd also like to point out that back in the days of USB 1.0, flash memory was pretty slow too. USB 2.0 came out and we still had flash drives doing well below 10MB/sec despite having 480MB/sec bandwidth courtesy of USB 2.0.

Eh. I'll wait for adoption of LightPeak. *cough* sorry...'Thunderbolt.'

I'm not too sure myself if TechSpot have really been testing these drives properly:

Referring to the Patriot Supersonic USB 3.0 64GB: "Amazing high-speed reads are offset and ruined by slow writes, unless you're exclusively going to be dealing with large files that is."

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...personic-usb-3-0-64gb-926032/review?artc_pg=3

You question my test methods and then you send me that link :S Having said that you do understand that the little testing that they did do does not contradict my own results but rather support them right?

The CrystalDiskMark results are virtually identical for both the Kingston and Patriot drives while their I/O test backs up what I was saying about the write performance being poor while the read performance is strong.

Then you have the file transfer test which has no kind of description as to how it was conducted. Judging by the low speeds I would say it’s an on disk copy test but there is no way to tell.

Anyway again I found your comments strange given how in depth our testing was and rather well explained. If all you want next time is three tests I will happily just provide three, saves me days of testing ;)

The performance/price ratio is pretty terrible at the moment, let's just hope that increases faster than SSDs did.

Back