USB device malfunctioned after Vista update - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLambie

I have a QuickCam® Orbit which I use for my course which have been using and it has been working fine until Vista shut down my computer to do updates and once these updates were done I get this error:

"One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize itone of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it."

Can anyone please tell me how to get it working.

I wish one could let Microsoft know they are screwing withpeople livelyhood by haveing updates that DO NOT WORK.

Yes I am extremely upset as missed a 3 hour lb do do this.

David Lambie

is there not a simple repair?

I unistalled and reinstalled and sill same error I think after get this correct I am never updateing Vista again!!

There really is quite a long list of possible reasons (i.e. the long list of possible solutions). The only other quick thing to see if it helps is to try the DriveCleanup tool and trying the different USB ports as suggested

Oh damn I just tried it into another machine running Windows XP and I get the same error.

How is this possibe - windows update can't damage a device through USB cable can it

No. Installing a Windows update wouldn't damage the USB device. Sounds more likely your device failed and the failure just happened while you were running Windows update.

About the only thing i could suggest (seeing as how it's failing on different computers)
> Try a different USB cable (the shortest one you have. And thicker cable better then thinner)
> Connect directly to computer ports (do not use hubs)
> Does the cam have on/off switch? (try it)
> Does cam have an A/C adapter? (plug it in)
> If you're testing on laptops make sure they're plugged in as well
> Do try running the DriveCleanup tool. I'm not optimistic if it's failing on different computers but it's an easy tool to run (and helpful for other reasons so still worth running it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back