USB Device Not Recognized (Printer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell GX280 XP Pro sp3, and I get the error "USB Device Not Recognized" when trying to add a new Canon PIXMA MP470 Printer to my machine. This is the second printer and second cable. The first printer was an HP and it gave the same error. I have tried the registry hack to add DWORD key DisableSelectiveSuspend" with a value of 1. I have tried powering off my system and removing the power cord for over 15 minutes. I have uninstalled all usb devices in device manager as I can until it kills the mouse and keyboard. I have reloaded the OS and haven't installed any other software or updates and I get the same error, even before the drivers were installed. As soon as I turn off the printer the "Unknown Device" is removed from the device manager. I read in one post that someone was told how to fix this, but didn't post it. I followed the install procedures to the letter and have even done a complete format and reload of XP from scratch and I still have the same problem. Just to let you know my history, I have been working computers since 1975. I know my way around a system and have built many in the past. This just seems like an odd problem and by the looks of the blogs all across the net, people have been having this problem since 2006. I really would like some help. Does anyone have a solution to this?

If you followed the Canon install instructios and it didn't work then try a manual install through Control Panel.

Here's some ideas:

Start->Run-> services.msc
Set Print Spooler to Automatic and Start it

Use a USB2 cable and use a USB2 connection on the computer

Load the drivers Manually (probably done!)

Confirm all Manufacture drivers (and any patches) are completed (Probably done)

Turn on USB (enabled) in CMOS

Using the Hp Printer (if you still have it) Go H E R E and click "Start Detection"

Purchase a new PCI addon USB Card (2.0) if it's a PC

Scan for Malware

Do a BIOS update (this only if you feel the BIOS is corrupted, and at your risk)

Reset the Printer to defaults (Some network printers carry their own Network settings) Also turn on File and Print sharing

Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

I have a RESOLUTION!!!

After looking at all the entries in other blogs about powering off, I got to wondering if it was a power issue. The first thing I did was go into the device manager, switched view to Resources by type, expanded Interrupt request (IRQ), and disabled the USB2 Enhanced Host Controller and presto my system begin to see everything including my printer. The disadvantage to this is now everything is running at USB 1.1, not what I wanted. So my next step was to uninstall everything that had to do with the printer, disconnect all USB devices except the mouse, enable the USB2 Enhanced Host Controller and reboot. Once everything came back up I ran the install program per instructions and when it told me to connect my printer I did and it connected and ran perfectly as a USB 2.0 device. Once it finished, I connected my keyboard, no problem, then I connect my USB 2.0 wireless NIC and there was no problem. It appears there is a conflict between the two USB 2.0 devices. If my printer goes to sleep or if I turn it off, I have to unplug the NIC before turning it back on so the system will recognize this. This Dell only has a 250 watt PS but I found there is a 305 compatible PS that will work. I plan to order it, but in the mean time, I am going to switch to a wireless PCI card for my network access and eliminate the USB NIC.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back