USB doesn't recognize devices on laptop

odriscoll27

Hi,

I recently tried to install a Kodak Phe rinter on my laptop however when I was installing the printer the Laptop crashed and gave me a BSOD.

I unplugged everything re-booted the laptop and still got the BSOD. I was able to solve this by doing a simple system restore under safe mode.

So far so good......however...

Everytime I try to plug in a USB device into either of my 2 USB ports windows says that the device has not been recognized and is malfunctioning and windows has stopped it.

There is clearly power going through the ports as if I plug in Wireless adapter the light on the device comes on.

I have checked under the Device manager and it shows that the hardware is working properly
I have checked in the registry and the USB ports are set to "3" under the start option which means that the USB should start as normal.

My laptop is an aspire 5532 running windows 7 home premium.

Just wondering if I have missed anything out somewhere

thanks in advance

Ronan

Hey odriscoll27. I assume your USB ports were working before you tried installing the Kodak printer. Do any USB devices now work in any ports?. Don't connect that printer to any other pc until you find out what caused this. I would first try uninstalling the ports in Device Manager, then reboot and let Windows reinstall the drivers and hopefully it will work. If it does work, check/try another printer cable and try installing it again. Is your Win7 OS at the SP1 level?.

As TheHawk says above, uninstall all USB drivers and hubs in device manager. Turn off laptop, take out battery, press power button a number of times, and let it sit for five minutes.

Put everything back and turn it on. Windows will reinstall drivers. Try plugging in a known-to-work USB stick and tell us what happens.

Back