USB Drive is stuck with two partitions

By aeSentinel
Aug 27, 2006
  1. Hey everyone.
    After trying Damn Small Linux and removing it, I found it had repartitioned my 256mb USB drive to a 49mb partition and an innaccessable second one.

Partition Magic can't fix the problem. Neither can KillDisk or Disk Management.

I'm running Windows XP Pro and have a copy of Damn Small Linux on LiveCD at my disposal.

Can anyone help?
  2. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

Is there any information in the inaccessible partition?

If not, simply copy the info onto pc and reformat drive.

3. aeSentinel

aeSentinel TS Rookie Topic Starter

I currently have nothing on the USB drive. Formatting the first partition does nothing. I can't access the second to format it.
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Try removing it with Linux. DSL should have at least fdisk to modify partitions, the USB stick device is usually something like /dev/sda.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

delete the partition table altogether. this will force a reparitioning where you
    will get the default as the entire device capacity. be sure to format as you need. fyi: for compatibility with the most systems, use FAT32 but this will
    limit the partition to 137gb. NTFS is the preferred for Win/* and EXT3 for Linux.
  6. sellmesanity

sellmesanity TS Rookie Posts: 162

If that doesn't work, get an RMA from the manufacturer! I think they would replace it, just say it doesn't load anymore or something.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.