TechSpot

USB external drive not working help

By bfleenor
May 28, 2010
  1. I have an older hard drive that i am working with. I have it plugged in. it comes up. recognizes its usb, i looked in device manager under disk drives and it shows up fujitsu 01005677 usb device, along with the base hard drive.

but if i go to disk management thinking the drive needs to be reassigned a letter because it was previously taken from a desktop. nothing is there. nor does it show up in my computer.

all windows updates are up to do.

not sure what to do and need to get the information off.

Thank you
    Ben

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

3. bfleenor

bfleenor TS Rookie Topic Starter

didnt work.

4. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 546

could be the adapter u use to connect to the HDD. I had a similar problem with a friends external drive and found that the ATA to USB adapter was the problem

5. LookinAround

Try this next. See if this might apply CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters

Yep. That's also possible.... So if above still fails, take a look through all of Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive

btw... do you run XP? if so, are you clicking Custom when you do windows update? and install all h/w optional updates?

/* edit */
    also.. btw.... Look at Device Management at the Physical disks (in lower pane). Does a physical disk disappear/reappear as you unplug/replug it?

6. Punkid

i forgot to mention, could be a faulty USB cable too....and also try connecting the drive to another pc, if problem still occurs then can rule out the possibility of your PC causing the problem

7. bfleenor

bfleenor TS Rookie Topic Starter

gonna call it a bad drive. idk why. it was working.

8. Punkid

did it work with a different pc?

9. LookinAround

These are also symptoms consistent with bad filters or a corrupt filesystem.

If bad filters: it should work on someone else's PC

If corrupt filesystem: it'll fail on all PCs

So suggest you still check filters and check disk management if a physical disk is reported in lower pane

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.