USB external drive not working help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older hard drive that i am working with. I have it plugged in. it comes up. recognizes its usb, i looked in device manager under disk drives and it shows up fujitsu 01005677 usb device, along with the base hard drive.

but if i go to disk management thinking the drive needs to be reassigned a letter because it was previously taken from a desktop. nothing is there. nor does it show up in my computer.

all windows updates are up to do.

not sure what to do and need to get the information off.

Thank you
Ben

could be the adapter u use to connect to the HDD. I had a similar problem with a friends external drive and found that the ATA to USB adapter was the problem

Try this next. See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

could be the adapter u use to connect to the HDD. I had a similar problem with a friends external drive and found that the ATA to USB adapter was the problem
Yep. That's also possible.... So if above still fails, take a look through all of [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]

btw... do you run XP? if so, are you clicking Custom when you do windows update? and install all h/w optional updates?

/* edit */
also.. btw.... Look at Device Management at the Physical disks (in lower pane). Does a physical disk disappear/reappear as you unplug/replug it?

i forgot to mention, could be a faulty USB cable too....and also try connecting the drive to another pc, if problem still occurs then can rule out the possibility of your PC causing the problem

i looked in device manager under disk drives and it shows up fujitsu 01005677 usb device, along with the base hard drive.

These are also symptoms consistent with bad filters or a corrupt filesystem.

If bad filters: it should work on someone else's PC

If corrupt filesystem: it'll fail on all PCs

So suggest you still check filters and check disk management if a physical disk is reported in lower pane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back