USB flash drive cannot be safely removed when formatted in NTFS

By Newtype
Aug 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I have two USB flash drives, one is an old Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 and my new one is a Corsair Flash Voyager. They both have the same problem.

When they are formatted in FAT32, I can safely remove them through Windows XP's "Safely Remove Hardware" program. However, when they are formatted in NTFS, the program says that I cannot remove the USB drive because it is still being used, but if I immediately ask the program to remove it again, it will. So I can remove the drives, but it just never works the first time.

Also, it's not true that there's something else still using the drive. I even used Process Explorer to make sure. Like I said, the problem only occurs when the drives are formatted in NTFS.

Finally, if I right-click on the USB drive in My Computer and eject it before using the "Safely Remove Hardware" program, it will work. That is just time consuming though and I don't know if it's safe to eject the USB drive like that.

Does anyone know a solution to this? Thanks for reading.
  2. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Guru Posts: 445

Are you using Windows Media Player?
  3. Newtype

Newtype TS Rookie Topic Starter

The problem seems to have magically fixed itself now. Weird.