TechSpot

Usb Flash Drive Doesnt Work!

By kanazky
Jan 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My USB Flash drive works fine on my work laptop but when I bring it home to this computer it never installs driver... Picture explains.

img246.imageshack.us/img246/4818/ok2lc2.th.jpg
  2. dgower2

dgower2 TS Maniac Posts: 340

The picture is too small - can't really see anything.

I have the opposite issue - my home computer works fine, but my work computer will not detect the thumb drives automatically. Every time I plug a thumb drive in at work, I need to open Device Manager and scan for changes - then it detects it (98% of the time). I never figured out why this happens, but it wasn't always like that.
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

One possibility:

The USB flash drive will use the next hard drive letter.
    Therefore if you have C harddrive then D HardDrive it will be assigned to E

But

If E is already assigned to a network drive then the USB drive sometimes will not innitialize and assign a drive letter.

To get around this, assign any network drives (or mapping) to a drive letter that is further down ie N drive, this in turn will allow the flash drive to be mounted.
  4. dgower2

dgower2 TS Maniac Posts: 340

I just checked my drive mappings and E was free. I moved the drive mapped to F to Z and tried - no dice. Good thinking though.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.